Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Do you give heartworm medicine?

Discussion in 'Drugs & Medications' started by melbell, Jul 29, 2014.

Do you give heartworm medicine?

1. Yes

44 vote(s)
    89.8%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    10.2%
  1. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Both my dogs are on Revolution from May to November....not so much for heartworm, but for ticks!

2. EJHUNTL

EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    Revolution is supposed to work for ticks - but it sure hasn't stopped them from feasting on Hanna! It was not unusual to pick up 3 or more on a walk this spring. That is why I opted for the lyme vaccine.

3. Greenepony

Greenepony Forums Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2012
    Per our adoption agreement (rescue is based out of Texas) we have to give a monthly heartworm pill. However, I would anyway even in Virginia or if we move farther north. I've heard of too many HW positive dogs and I don't want to put Olive through the even heavier dosing of treatment.

She is HDR1 normal/normal but she was already on Trifexis with the rescue and we haven't seen a reason to switch, she hasn't had the stomach problems that you hear about (she happily took hers today as an after dinner "treat") which is funny considering missing a meal will make her throw up.:confused2:

4. Bradt9881

Bradt9881 Forums Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2014
    Fayetteville, NC
    HW is epidemic in North Carolina, so Fletcher gets his monthly tab.

5. PamG

PamG Forums Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2011
    Louisiana
    South LA: mosquito capital of the world!
    We use Advantage multi monthly. So far so good.

Pam and Sunny and Snow

6. Fasb's Owner

Fasb's Owner Forums Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2013
    Morgantown, WV
    Heartgard once a month.

We just follow the vet's recommendation. Fasb's never had a problem tolerating it. Heartworms are nasty business. I would never consider risking putting Fasb through that by not treating year-round.

7. JacqueZ

JacqueZ Forums Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    After reading this thread, and googling lots of photos of heartworm I've switched and have started Honey on the medicine...

I still think her chances of getting it are in the lower .000001%, she's not a dog that sits outside all day, we don't have many mosquitoes around us, her flea medicine is supposed to repel them...but the photos are just to frightening!

8. Mignarda

Mignarda Forums Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2013
    Dover, Delaware
    Why do you think vets keep those jars with heartworm-infested dog hearts in their offices, in plain view of paying customers? To scare them silly, of course, so they'll buy lots of heartworm medicine, whether it's needed or not!

9. JLSOhio51

JLSOhio51 Forums Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2013
    Ohio
    As an admitted (and perhaps avowed) pessimist, I read this comment with a knowing and an affimative nod. I have no doubt that some vets DO (often) employ such scare tactics. However, even if I AM bowing to doggy doc scare tactics, where does the harm lie? Even if the chance of contracting heartworms in a givin area is low, where does the harm lie? The question is (for me), does the heartworm med HARM my pet even if unneccessary? If the answer is NO, the choice is simple - do it! If the answer is YES (or MAYBE) the choice becomes much more difficult.

10. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Geez, I've never been to a vet that does this! :ick What kind of vets do you know? I'd give them a wide berth!!