Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

2014 AKC National Agility Championship

Discussion in 'Agility' started by ortegah, Sep 26, 2012.

1. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    The qualification information is on this page: http://classic.akc.org/events/agility/national_agility_championship/index.cfm

-4 double Q’s and
    -20 qualifying legs in Master STD and/or Master JWW (the double q’s will count as part of the 20
    legs) and
    -500 MACH points

If a lot of people I know go, then I will definitely consider making the trip. It's about 2 1/2 hours from me.

2. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    Thanks, Randi. You are actually closer than I am. It's 4 hours to Harrisburg for me and it's my state capitol! :lol:

I'm not going to hold my breath on Edan meeting these requirements, as much as I'd like to see him eligible for nationals. I doubt we attend enough trials in a year to make this possible.

3. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    We're still in STD novice & JWW Open and don't trial enough, so definitely not going to compete. Maybe in 2016! :lol: But I would like to go to watch people.

4. Sharon

Sharon Forums Sage

Feb 27, 2008
    Southeastern Ct
    AKC Nationals

You need 4 QQ's, 20 legs in Master Standard and Master JWW, and 500 MACH points.

5. HopeShelties

HopeShelties Forums Enthusiast

Dec 2, 2008
    Kentucky
    It's quite the feat to start trying now, though still doable with enough trials, a fast enough dog, and enough consistency. A friend is worried. She spent the first part of the year qualifying for usdaa nationals, and is just starting to try for akc nationals in May. It can be done... requirements were different last year- 6qqs, 400 points and Athena only trialed in September, October and November, and got qualified. Kai came up 1 qq short in that same time period. And here we are, 2 trials in December, 1 in January, 1 in February, 2 in Mach, and 2 in April and Athena is qualified, and Kai almost.

6. Sealtainn

Sealtainn Forums Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2011
    california
    I think that depends on the team.
    We're not half way thru the qual. period & I know many teams have already qualified.
    Personally I think it is too easy to qualify for the nationals - even if only looking at the record numbers of entries they get.
    We qualified months ago, as I expected, and I know of much slower teams who are close to qualifying.
    Was it a goal for me to qualify? No.
    We won't be going as it is too far away & expensive in time & $'s to do so.

If I lived closer to the location of the Nationals & if these other factors were not an issue then I would think there is plenty of time for any team that has the ability to make it to the final round to qualify for the event even if starting to pick up points/QQ's today.

7. HopeShelties

HopeShelties Forums Enthusiast

Dec 2, 2008
    Kentucky
    It's only been just under 5 months since qualifying began. That makes it hard to have qualified months ago. Maybe a month, month and a half ago at best, unless you are trialing most weekends. How many trials do you do a month? To earn the qs, assuming you q'd every time out, it would take 4 three day trials (well, 3 whole 3 days and 1.5 days of a 4th) to get the needed Qs, and 4-5 to earn the points, for a relatively quick dog, again, assuming you q'd every time out. Most people aren't so perfect that they are QQing every single run every single trial, so I would assume it would take at least 6-8 trials with a relatively consistent dog to earn the qs, qqs, and points.
    The average person probably trials 1-2 times a month. A relatively quick dog with the consistency and the average handler trialing (2 trials a month) could get it done in probably 4 months. Many teams have either a problem with speed or consistency issue, so it takes them longer. The friend I have has a bar knocker, so she has good reason to be concerned.
    Had I been doing more than one a month over the winter months, I could've shaved off maybe a month from what it took me. We did it in 3 months last year when needing to get it done last minute, but it involved trialing 3 times a month in October to get it done (2 September, 3 October, 2 November).

8. Sealtainn

Sealtainn Forums Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2011
    california
    We don't trial as much as the regulars.
    From my calendar I see we had 18 trial days between December, January & February. If I had wanted to I had another 15 trial days available in that time period within driving normal local trial distance which I did not enter.
    Plenty of opportunity.
    We qualified for Nationals sometime in February.

Only had 2 AKC trials in March & April.