Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by Will-o-Gisp, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Will-o-Gisp

Will-o-Gisp Forums Novice

Aug 5, 2013
    Seaford, Delaware
    Hello everyone, I am Willo, I am new to the site. I have two Shetland Sheepdogs that I absolutely love. On is Abigail, female, almost 7 years old, and she is epileptic. I have had her since she was about 7 months old. I just bought Arichmedes, male, he is about 7 months old now, and so hyper. The breed of the shetland sheepdog is my favorite. I have fallen in love with how gentle and loving they can be. I know all types of dogs are that way (lol). My dog Abigail was very abused before I got her. She would not play she would not eat, nothing! The moment I got her it was like she became alive again! She began to play, socialize, and love. I fell in love with her that instance. Now Arichmedes is a completely different story. He is so shy, does not like men, won't go up to anyone, and runs away. I would love some suggestions on how to get him out of that stage, he is slowly getting use to us. I have only had him for about a month, but I want the best for my babies. Also I know this is a random question but my roommate wants to know whether or not male shelties will keep their floppy ears when they age? We find them completely adorable! Also if anyone knows how train the shelties, using different tricks to train them. I am having difficultly training Archimedes with him being so shy. Please Help!

And again hello!!!!!

Willo:yuckyuck

2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    welcome:smile2:
    we love pix:yes:

the ears- well if you want to be sure that they tip as an adult, search this site for ear tipping- many threads and methods:pop

some shelties need a lot of time to adjust to their new home. if you've only had Archimedes for one month, he could still be adjusting- give him some more time:yes:
    there are also lot of threads on here about rescue/shy shelties and what people have done to help them.

3. Lunatic59

Lunatic59 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Hi Willo!

Our blue merle Winston was the most laid back, easy going dog I've ever had. Of course he wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed, but he more than made up for that with lovability. Our two sable pups Jackson and Franklin, although from the same litter have very different personalities. Franklin is outgoing with people and a bit of an energizer bunny when it comes to activities. Jackson is shyer and not doing well on a leash. Any little upset and he plants his butt on the ground and refuses to move. He's going to be a bit of a challenge.

It takes patience and consistency and patience and positive reinforcement and patience. Did I mention patience? :wink2:

I wouldn't wait for them to "grow out of a stage" or you may end up encouraging the unwanted behavior. You need to work with them, albeit slowly and don't force them into uncomfortable situations for too long. Don't forget lavishing pets and treats for good results.

The ears are like the rest of the Sheltie, without training, they'll do what they want. Since our dogs aren't showing, we don't particularly care. It looks like Jackson's ears will have the appropriate Sheltie tip, but Franklin's may be a little more floppy, although at 18 weeks it's too early to tell.

If you want a specific look, then you are going to have to train the ears until they are fully formed. I'm not sure how much time you've got with a 7 month old puppy, though.

4. Mitchy

Mitchy Forums Enthusiast

Oct 22, 2012
    Idaho, USA
    Hello and welcome.

Your new fella may just need more time. Getting him into classes for socialization and training here soon. They love learning and having jobs to do.

Would love to see pictures!

5. JLSOhio51

JLSOhio51 Forums Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2013
    Ohio
    Welcome Willo:

You sound a little like me in that I am (relatively) new here and have a lot of seemingly random questions. One big difference in the two of us is that you currently have Shelties. I had one for years before he went to the bridge and after many years, I am now looking for another one.

If I may, let me offer you suggestions that may help you with those random questions: 1). take some time and go to the main forum page. Click on any area of interest to you and follow a few threads all the way through. You will be amazed at the helpful information you can pick up (there are a lot of helpful, friendly, knowledgeable folks here). Be advised though, you may (like me) be left with many more questions than you started with, but for me, that's OK too. And 2). don't be dismayed with the contradictions that you find from one reply to the next. As the people in the automobile industry always say, "your mileage may vary". My theory is that Shelties are as similar and as different as their humans. What works for one will not always work for another. It is highly dependent upon not only the dog's personality, but that of the owner and how well the two work well together.

6. dblock

dblock Forums Enthusiast

Mar 28, 2011
    philadelphia
    Hello from South Philadelphia

7. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Welcome!!! Happy to have you here. :biggrin2:

8. Tabitha

Tabitha Forums Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    Welcome to the forums Willo! You've gotten a lot of good advise already. We LOVE pix!:yes:

About his ears, do you want them properly tipped? Or did you just want them floppy? Like Calliesmom said there are quite a few threads about tipping a puppies ears that would be very helpful to you. But if it doesn't really matter, if they are down a good ways at 7 months it's likely they will stay down. If they try to pull up a little then they may need to be glued/taped.

Again, we love pix, and would love to meet your little furbaby.:biggrin2:

9. susanmccain

susanmccain Forums Enthusiast

Jan 27, 2013
    London, Ohio
    Hi Willo....welcome to the forum. We love to see pics.

10. Will-o-Gisp

Will-o-Gisp Forums Novice

Aug 5, 2013
    Seaford, Delaware
    Thank you everyone!

Ok to answer everyone about the photo's, this is my very first time using any kind of forum, (with the exception of my schooling). I am hoping that it is a little like that. I do not know how to upload photos yet on this site, however I am a fast learner.

Calliesmom thank you for the advice. I do not know what tipping is, however I will do my research. I am definitely good about researching almost everything I do. I will review all of the threads and make sure I follow the advice that is given. Also I will give him more time. Everyday I see a change and more love in him for my roommate and I. :biggrin2: He is opening up so much. We have been able to crate train him within a matter of a week! Which is awesome. We were also able to house train him better after the crate training. To

Lunatic59- thank you for everything. With all of my schooling I have learned to become very patient, plus already having one sheltie lol... With lavishing the pets, I believe that is how Archimedes is warming up to us so fast already. Abigail has been spoiled rotten since the day I got her. And he is quickly getting use to the life style :lol:.

Mitchy- Thank you for the advice I will try and find some challenging training techniques for them both.

JLSOhio51- Yes it does sound like I am you. I am so new when it comes to asking for help when it comes to my animals and I am not used to having these difficulties. I normally do end up with more questions than I started out with :lol:

To everyone else thank you for the very warm welcome. I hope to become well known on this site so that is anyone has any question they could possibly come to me!

Also if anyone would like to look me up on facebook please send me a friend request on here and let me know your name so I can expect the friend request on fb.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...729611.-2207520000.1375755116.&type=3&theater

This is Abigail. Again I don't know how to post photos!