Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Brewers yeast with garlic

Discussion in 'Drugs & Medications' started by KarenW, Aug 15, 2014.

1. KarenW

KarenW Forums Regular

Jan 17, 2014
    Il
    Anyone use this...Also does anyone know side effects ?

2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    bought the tablets years ago with my basset mix when we lived in FL.
    was supposed to help with fleas but I don't think it really did.
    however he loved them so I continued to give them to him....
    never bothered with any of the dogs after him..........

3. Bradt9881

Bradt9881 Forums Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2014
    Fayetteville, NC
    Beware of garlic products, in sufficient quantities they can cause red blood cells to rupture in dogs.....

4. Fasb's Owner

Fasb's Owner Forums Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2013
    Morgantown, WV
    Fasb's previous owner - my sister-in-law - gave him brewers yeast tablets in addition to Frontline. Fasb also had a seemingly unrelated seasonal allergy, where his back paws itched and he chewed them obsessively. He wouldn't chew the fur off the paw, but he would chew enough that his saliva stained the fur a copper brown color. Severity of the allergy varied from summer to summer and went away by September. Vet thought Fasb was picking up something on his paws from the grass in the area, but nothing the vet recommended helped much.

When we got Fasb, we didn't see any harm in continuing with the brewers yeast, but, when summer rolled around and Fasb started to chew his paws again, we discontinued the tablets. I don't remember if someone said something that made us suspect the brewers yeast, or if it was just a hunch, but it worked. The paw itch cleared up almost immediately and we haven't had a problem with summer itch since. So I'm assuming the brewers yeast was the culprit.