Go Back   Sheltie Forums > Sheltie Talk > Sheltie Chat
Become a Premium Member Rules Support Sheltie Nation Member Map

Notices

View First Unread View First Unread  
Old Jul 14, 2014, 07:00 AM

Thumbs down

Haha! Some people even ignore the fact that she has a name and they just call her opossum
Jaden's Precious Jewel "Jade"
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2014, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbV View Post

When asked I don't say Sheltie. I always give the full name! Why? Because Sheltie makes it sound designer dog.

With Indy's fat pants, I'm ALWAYS asked if I have to groom him every day to make him look so good. They can't believe it when I tell them he sheds less than a lab. And when I say he really only gets brushed every two weeks, they are shocked.
I always do that as well with the name... with the long, fluffy coat and designer sounding name I think it makes them seem like little "froo froo" dogs, and I have most definitely been shown lately that is anything but the case.

I always tell people when they ask about the shedding that my cats shed way more than he does. He also isn't particularly prone to matting, except behind his ears (his coat is quite coarse- could be why?) so he doesn't get brushed all that frequently- probably why he still hates it.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 08:46 AM

I always get asked if Ruutu was a border collie (he's tri) and then the only ones that guessed it right are people who told me they own/owned a sheltie before and just loved them. Though, he's 18" and 33 pounds (muscular/big boned) so I could see where they might think of him as one. Luckily, Honey has never been mistaken for anything but a sheltie (sable)
Old Jul 15, 2014, 09:08 AM

I had some one ask just yesterday if mine were border collies. Must be they don't see the brown on them.
Maggie and Katie- always in our hearts.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:00 AM

People always thought my sable boys were 'little collies'.

I have a bi-black and a blue now. Everyone thinks the bi-black is a border collie, and one lady with a sheltie actually told me that he must have a lot of collie in him because his nose is 'too long' (um no, he is actually a very well bred sheltie from show stock, mom and dad were both confirmation champions). Everyone thinks my blue girl is an aussie with a tail.

But I also get compliments on how well behaved they are in public - even the blue who is 7 months old is well behaved. They are very polite when greeting people and other dogs, and they love everyone.

I get lots of questions about how much maintenance my bi-black boy is. He has a super long and beautiful coat. They ask me who I take him to for grooming and are surprised when I tell them he's not all that much work, and that I do it myself.