Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Extra tooth

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Simba13, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Simba13

Simba13 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 25, 2014
    Dublin
    I just noticed my 4 month old puppy has an extra tooth in between his 2 front teeth. I am not able to attach a photo but it looks like a small skinny tooth in between his 2 top front teeth. I had hoped to show him in the future but am now concerned that this will stop us from doing that. I don't know if it is an adult tooth or not. Should I have it seen to by a vet? It does not bother him at all but I don't want it to cause his big teeth to grow in wrong!

2. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    I would check with your vet. It may be a baby tooth that wasn't pushed out by the adult teeth. This happened to Hollie with her canines. The baby teeth never fell out so the vat had to pull them.

3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    If your worried about it get the vet to take a look but if I remember correctly at 4 months they've just started the teething process so that may be an adult tooth that's come in or it may be one of the puppy teeth that hasn't yet come out (I seem to remember that it's the insizors that come in first). They'll continue to teeth until at least 7-9 months.

4. MaraAraLara

MaraAraLara Forums Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2015
    Ireland
    I don't know about this myself, but keep us posted!

5. Simba13

Simba13 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 25, 2014
    Dublin
    Just wanted to give an update. I was going to the vet or a check up with one of my other dogs and brought Shoka along to have his tooth looked at. The vet opened his mouth and said 'what extra tooth?' It had fallen out sometime between 8am when we got up and 11am when we went to the vet :lol: Luckily it was a baby tooth and didn't cause any harm to his new big teeth growing in!