Go Back   Sheltie Forums > Health > General Health
Become a Premium Member Rules Support Sheltie Nation Member Map

Notices

Reply
View First Unread View First Unread  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old Apr 15, 2012, 10:05 PM
eneda eneda is offline
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: evanston, IL
Posts: 52
Default

Definitely checking for Lyme on wednesday! We love and totally trust our vet, she is awesome.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #12  
Old Apr 18, 2012, 01:27 PM
eneda eneda is offline
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: evanston, IL
Posts: 52
Default

Our vet was able to see us sooner so we went there last night. After examining Pebbles she believes she has pulled a muscle and the pain is mostly on her elbow. The vet said considering her age, shape and the fact that she is always on antiflea/tick medication its is very unlikely to be anything major or lyme. Pebbles body temperature was also normal and she didnt have any other symptoms that could point to an infection. But if she doesnt get better in 2 weeks or so we will test her for lyme and do X-Rays. For now, no long walks and stairs for miss Pebbles. I hope she gets better soon. Sucks that this happend right when we wanted to start agility. Booo
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old Apr 18, 2012, 01:37 PM
danisgoat's Avatar
danisgoat danisgoat is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 6,775
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eneda View Post
The vet said considering her age, shape and the fact that she is always on antiflea/tick medication its is very unlikely to be anything major or lyme.
Just an FYI....

Dandie had Lyme at 2 years old. Always on Frontline. Perfect shape. NO SYMPTOMS.

Chloe had Lyme at 9 months old. Always on Frontline. Perfect shape. No temperature but had slight limp in her front left elbow....sometimes.

Just so you are aware that your vet's reasonings for not having Lyme are not consistent with the many many many dogs that I know that have come up Lyme positive.

On another note, I hope that with a little rest your pup recovers quickly and there isn't any big problems.

One suggestion....before you spend the money on an x-ray, please, and this is from someone who spent LOTS of money on x-rays, orthos, PT, chiro, acupuncture....just get a cheap Lyme test done
__________________
Vinca CGC NJP NAP
HiMark's Lucky Clover CGC RN (Chloe)
HiMark's Dandelion Angel CGC NAJ (Dandie)
HiMark's Favorite Cookie (Oreo)
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old Apr 19, 2012, 06:36 AM
bibluegirl bibluegirl is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: pa
Posts: 65
Default

I agree. My girl just turne up positive for lymes. Started with a slight limp which we thought was just old age (shes 12) she was on frontline her whole life. In august I tested her (when the limping first started) it came out negitive, but last week she could hardly move her head was hanging low she looked painful.

She was due for her checkup anyway I decided to check her for lyme again and sure enough came up positive.

We also see dogs who have no symptoms come in and come up positive.

Ticks are bad already this year. I would still get your dog checked for lymes as a precausion.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old Apr 20, 2012, 02:34 AM
Justicemom's Avatar
Justicemom Justicemom is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 5,873
Default

Sgh. I don't understand the reluctance of vets in testing for lyme or other TBD.

Dogs get Lyme disease when they are on flea/tick preventative. Nothing is 100% and the deer ticks are so small one almost never finds them unless one is really really checking.

It is such an easy test, I don't get it.
__________________
Dr. Shelli
Can/Bah CH UGRCH Can OTCH UGOCH UACHX Justice UDX2 NA NAJ ASCA/Bah CDX RE CGC
UCH UUD UAGII Ember UDX AX AXJ MJP RA Can CD and UAGII Birch OA OAJ NF CGC
At the bridge forever in my heart-UCH UAGII Diva CDX MX MXJ OF RA
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old Apr 24, 2012, 05:57 PM
eneda eneda is offline
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: evanston, IL
Posts: 52
Default

She hasnt been limping the past 3 days. I did not do her blood work last time because I thought it could wait since she was already in distress. We will go back in May and I will ask them to run a lyme test too then just to be on the safe side! Thank you for all the suggestions! :)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.