Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

What unusual things set your dog off?

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Mom2Melli, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    We all know the typical things that dogs react adversely to . . . vacuum, people/dogs on other side of fence, trucks/buses/trains, doorbells, sirens, thunder, coyotes . . .

What really strange things unhinge your dog?

Melli -- anything that makes the pssss pssss pssss sound -- husband's airbrush or tonight cutting foam insulation with a knife. Makes me wonder if her former home was a Spanish-speaking (we know that part) chop shop! Or did they hit her with canned air?

Shay -- the stimulation segments on Dog TV. Have to change channels! He also fears my husband's wire gun (kind of a nail gun) because he knows it makes the compressor kick on.

2. MissieLynn

MissieLynn Forums Enthusiast

Jun 14, 2013
    Oklahoma
    Emmy goes nuts over psssst sound you get when you use cans of whipped cream. Haven't heard her get upset over things similar sounds, though.

She also barks whenever I use the can opener...and it's not even electric! :lol:

3. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Manual can opener? That IS odd.

Don't know if Melli would feel same about whipped cream or hairspray.

4. JessicaR

JessicaR Forums Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2008
    Tiffin Ohio
    The air compressor! Every time my husband tries to use it the dogs come running, they love to bark and bite at the air coming out.

5. JacqueZ

JacqueZ Forums Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    We used to own a chihuahua who would go nuts at the sound of the convection oven and the toaster oven. Every Sunday breakfast he was cowering like a baby.

Honey gets scared of the sound of the snow plows, cuddles right up to me if they go by when we're outside.

She also hates the big orange construction signs. If we see one on a walk we have to hightail it back in the direction we came from!

6. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    Hamish hated the blow dryer, the clothes dryer. Noah hated it when Mom took out her pills - I always told her that he knew she was taking low-dose poison (digoxin, warfarin).

My three now - can opener, food processor, school buses, motorbikes. I know there are more unusual things, but my brain is not working too well this morning, too tired. Liam gets upset if I am changing to go out anywhere.

7. Katagaria

Katagaria Forums Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2012
    Ireland
    Orange things in the park. If it's orange, they are wary/confused by it.

8. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    I've mentioned this before, but Missy reacts to my sneezing. And I sneeze quite a bit! She barks at me, and if one of the cats is near, she'll chase the poor cat, barking away. It drives me crazy. She's conditioned me to anticipate her bark, even when she's not there! That's the only thing she's reactive to.

Other random things make her "alert" me. Her alert bark sounds like she's coughing. "boof....boof...boof". It depends on the day if she'll react or not. Yesterday it was a plastic bag caught on a car. Once at agility class it was the neighbor walking around in his yard. Windy days can be troublesome because wind makes things she sees every day sound or act funny, like branches hitting the side of a building or a sheet blowing. Anything flying around in the sky, like a model airplane or a kite, concerns her. 95% of the time she's fine and doesn't have issues, but sometimes it's just random things that set her off. I can't anticipate it. Most days a dog can bark her and she doesn't bat an eyelash. Other days she's like "get me out of here!" I figure the dog is saying something not so nice.. lol.

9. Sheltie4

Sheltie4 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2013
    Kansas City
    My foster, Sadie, not only barks like mad when I sneeze, but will bark when one of the dogs sneezes.

She also barks when unwrapping aluminum foil, opening the silverware drawer (ONLY the silverware drawer), and when in the car, she barks when we stop (and in the city/suburbs we have a lot of stop lights :eek:)

I happen to love her quirks.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  10. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    Anything that beeps, dryer, oven timer, toaster, etc. But the weirdest one is when someone sucks in air. Like the sound you make when you're shocked or surprised about something. It's hard to explain, but that noise makes my dog go crazy.