Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

DOCG obedience and rally trial

Discussion in 'Obedience' started by Calliesmom, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    well, the plan was for both Cran and Dix to get their titles in Rally Advanced yesterday- they've been very good at qualifying together.
    there were five dogs in the A class, Cran was first and Dix second so I got her moved to last in the class. well somebody else had a conflict with an obedience ring so they moved to first which crashed my plan of three dogs between my two.....:rolleyes2:

so anyway, Cran only barked a couple times and his heeling was pretty nice. I was concerned about one of the signs since he wouldn't do that one Friday evening at the match. so we practiced it a few times before we went into the ring. he did it in the trial so I was very happy. wasn't our best score but we did get 3rd and the amazing title ribbon.

Dixie is usually pretty calm out in public and also quiet. well, something about the indoors ring/judge/spectators- who knows what- made her nervous. so she barked a fair amount and also had sit issues which did not help our performance. towards the very end, she was heeling better but too little too late. I did talk to the judge and between everything but mostly the barking, was why Dix did not qualify.

We also entered the brown dogs in Brace obedience and ended up being the only pair entered. so pretty much you hook a coupler to the collars of the two dogs and then you do all the Novice obedience exercises with two dogs. there is video of this as Joan's friend kindly recorded this for us. I'm recharging the tablet so I can upload it later...
    I am sure it was entertaining though. I had practiced with Dixie closest to me as she is shorter and wouldn't have to work as hard to keep up. but Cran decided he wasn't giving up the close spot and kept crowding her out.
    so we lost tons of points on the heel on leash and the figure 8 for that. they also seemed to have a sit problem which Dix might have carried over from rally. there were a couple times that Cran sat but I don't think that Dix sat on any of the heeling portions. there was also the heel free where they heel next to you without the leash but still coupled- that went as well as the on leash heeling....
    amazingly, they both passed the stand for exam- I wasn't too sure how that would go but it went well.
    they did ok on the recall too- we did lose some points on that- probably because Cran ran faster and pulled Dix with him. but their front sit wasn't very front either... and then the sit stay- Dix stood sometime during that but didn't leave her spot and just before the judge said return to your dogs during the down stay- Cran stood.
    it was very interesting experience especially since we've never done Novice at all.

2. dmeyer123

dmeyer123 Forums Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2011
    Eastvale, CA
    Congrats on the title! The ribbon really is a nice one! As long as all of you had fun....that's what it's all about! :hugs

3. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Looking good Mr Cranberry :yes: Go sit on our brothers for me.

Signed
    Spitfire Esquire

PS Sca says only the first part is true but you can ignore him

4. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    Glad you got home safely. That is such a nice ribbon they give for a new title, we will have to try for one next year. I am so sorry that I was in the other ring and didn't get to see your Brace obedience team. Maybe someday Flyer and Justus will give that a try. :smile2:

5. 2GoodDogs

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    drag racing dogs... a lot of energy packed into that place! Hope that ya'll will get good video and commentary.

6. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    Brace video
    please thank your friend again for videoing us:yes:

Cran's rally adv

he barked more than I thought he did....

Dixie's rally video didn't turn out as well since the tablet was on Cran's crate which was empty while he was in the ring...
    I should have put him into Dixie's crate for her run- that way, maybe the tablet would still have shown the ring instead of mostly the ceiling....:rolleyes2:

7. 2GoodDogs

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    Why wasn't I recording it! Sorry, I should have asked....I was pretty much brain dead by then.

8. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    you weren't recording because you were busy in the other room:winkgrin:
    getting that second RAE leg....

I'm just happy that it's on video- we will have to try something different next time though I'm not sure how to convince one to stay right next to me and the other one right next to that one....

9. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    or do you mean the rally videos?
    because you were going in the ring right after us........
    and I didn't realize that Cran would move the crate enough to dislodge the tablet's focus.....

10. SheltieLuver

SheltieLuver Forums Enthusiast

Aug 31, 2008
    South Carolina
    Congrats! You're doing so awesome with those two! Was great to see you again!!