Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Flyer visits the herding lessons

Discussion in 'Herding & Tracking' started by 2GoodDogs, Oct 6, 2014.

1. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    The shed and pen at the Worlds. This dog ran first, and he was not to be beaten all day. He was amazing. He has to shed off the 15 uncollared sheep, then put the 5 collared sheep in the pen. Sounds easy, ja?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZDI21X9OjA

It was fascinating to watch, and definitely changed how I decided to train my dog. See how calm this dog is? When the dog is moving, the stock is moving. So I'm working really hard on being calm myself, and keeping the dog calm, as well as having him stop on a dime. He's only 15 months old, but he seems to understand what I'm trying to do.

I was also lucky enough to get to watch Bobby Dalziel work his dogs and give lessons. He works his dogs "on the brae", basically a giant hill. Hiding sheep over a crest and sending the dogs up to find them. It was just amazing.

SOOOO ADDICTING.

And yes, it's likely that a Border Collie is in my future... Welcome to the dark side?

2. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    For a widdle bitty puppy, Flyer had a great time. Showed confidence and instinct, even stood up to a bossy ewe that stomped her feet, and tried to head butt!

I so wish one of my companions would come forward to say they got it on video... but so far, nothing. I do have video of Justus thinking we were proofing the heeling exercise. :rolleyes2: I went around the sheep, he herded me...

It was a gorgeous fall day for the sheep pen, when I get caught up - I'll share the pictures.

Wondering how in the world lessons and the 2 hours round trip drive could fit into the money and time available ....

3. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    time and money...... I feel your pain there

how could people be near Flyer and not be taking video or pictures?:pop

4. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    That is beyond me! My friend, Kathy, is excused though -- she had a rough morning. Within seconds of being unleashed in the pen - Hugo stampeded right into the 3 ewes and when they scattered, he got the wind knocked out of him, which scared the beejeebers out of all of us. Then she got a call that her Dad was in the hospital, he fell and broke some ribs.. so, Kathy had plenty going on to capture Flyer's little brillance. However, everyone else that *could* have ... well, here's to hoping that someone got it, and they just haven't told me yet.

Now, next Saturday there is another herding day!! however we are entered in obedience about 60 miles away... and I have a decision to make....

5. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    oh no- sorry to hear that Kathy's having such problems. not good having someone in the hospital.

obedience or herding.......
    gonna have to say herding- there's lots more obedience trials than herding stuff:winkgrin: