Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Great Rawhide Alternative

Discussion in 'Treats & Supplements' started by Ann, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    They are made in China, Randi. This is the reply I got from the company's media rep when I asked.

"SmartBones are made in China in a facility that was designed by SmartBones Chief Science Officer Martin Glinsky, Ph.D. It was built specifically for their manufacturing requirements following strict quality control and assurance programs."

2. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    Personally, I don't trust anything made in china. I'll just have to stick to American made rawhides, antlers & dried duck feet.

Bailey only gets them every once in a while when I need to fold laundry or really want to watch a TV show and she is full of energy.

3. Mikos_Mom

Mikos_Mom Forums Enthusiast

Oct 7, 2010
    Vancouver, BC
    Miko loves Dentley's - Prime Slices (he gets the beef ligament) He's a big sheltie and a big chewer, so they don't last him that long... but a lighter chewer would have to work on one for a very long time! (Tasha can't even make a dent in a small piece)

The package says "Made in the USA" ... and they have never made him sick.

4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I admit I'm a bit backed off by the China thing. I assumed they were made here from the promotional material I've seen. I may have to rethink this. My dogs are very picky about their chews. I won't feed any kind of deer on principle...we have our own little deer herd that I feed in my yard. I may look at the Dentley's things. Thanks, all.

5. OntarioSheltie

OntarioSheltie Forums Celebrity

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Is it just me or is anyone else turned off by the price of good raw hide?

I wouldn't mind so much if it was something that wasn't so processed, but I haven't been able to find any good alternatives either. I wouldn't mind spending the same amount of money or even a bit more if it was something healthier.

I'll look into those Dentley's things too.

6. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Fyi

I just received this from the head of the company and the guy who developed these bones, for anyone interested:

Your recent inquiry to SmartBones was forwarded to me.

As an introduction, I’m one of the founders of SmartBones and I developed the formula, manufacturing steps and our Quality Assurance and Quality Control programs at our manufacturing facility in China. The factory was built for us, to our specifications and SmartBones is the only product manufactured.

Personally, I’ve been in the pet food and treat business for over 30 years. During that time, I have formulated and manufactured some of the top-selling holistic and organic pet foods and treats on the market.

The concept of SmartBones was developed as a safer alternative to rawhide, which many veterinarians and canine professionals are now concerned about. We set-out to invent a palatable, very digestible chew-treat that provides dogs with the chewing activity they inherently crave and the oral health properties they need.

SmartBones (and Dreambones) are 99.2% digestible and will out-feed rawhide in palatability tests 100:1. This insures that most dogs will continue eating our product until they have consumed it in total. No more partially-eaten, messy pieces of rawhide stuck to carpets or rawhide remnants seen in the feces.

Thanks for your interest in SmartBones and please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Martin J. Glinsky, Ph.D.
    Chief Science Officer
    PetMatrix, LLC
    C: 631-512-3439
    AZ Office: 928-284-2335
    HI HQ: 877-336-3647
    [email protected]

7. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    I'd reply....

Bring your company production back to US and I will consider buying your product. Thanks for your time.

But that's just me.

8. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Deer Antlers....

I don't know if This and That is available in the US, but there must be something similar.

These are expensive, but I'm told will last 1-2 months (assuming your pup doesn't got hide it in the backyard). Unlike rawhide, which Indy will devour in a morning.

http://www.petvalu.com/in-our-store/products/dog/treats/natural/and-deer-antlers

http://www.thisandthatcanineco.com/aboutus/.

When I did my "in-store" training....this was one of the most popular items. I've not bought any yet....waiting to take over my store so that I get the owner's discount....LOL!

9. SheltieChe

SheltieChe Forums Sage

Jan 6, 2010
    Chicago
    my boys will not touch antlers, waste of my $
    they get lamb years, cow ears and various bullies. I used USbones with success, now I switched to bullysticks.com and I get their economy ones which are slihglty less time to chew or regular ones, as well as esophagus and dry intestine, lamb dry tripe. Those are easy chew that could be used as treats too. My boys love them.

10. jomuir

jomuir Forums Enthusiast

May 10, 2011
    I ordered 2 elk antlers form Amazon.com, wild collected/foraged, the seller maintains they forage for them and do not hurt any elk in the process. Roxie likes hers, Forrest is scared of them:rolleyes2:

He'll pick one up to take it away from Roxie out of jealousy, but he's no rube, he's not having anything to do with them! There goes $35 in search of a healthy chew treat for my dogs....