Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Help potty training please!!!

Discussion in 'Sheltie Training' started by Lakethoreau, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Lakethoreau

Lakethoreau Forums Regular

Dec 20, 2013
    NY
    I was thinking about calling the vet today. She'd just been checked the week before but I will see if I can get her in today. Thank you.

2. Lakethoreau

Dec 20, 2013
    NY
    Vet appointment in two weeks. Geez

Earliest available.

But it can't be a urinary issue because she does it pooping too. In fact, she pooped earlier and then came indoors and pooped again. :gaah

3. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Start over again like she is a tiny pup. She has missed the memo and you should start over. Also, have her checked for bowel or bladder issues. Crate, do business OUTSIDE, get some time out of the crate under direct supervision. Take out with any change in activity -- waking up, drinking, playing, eating, chewing. Do not assume she will show any sign. Only when she has done business outside does she get a crate-free time. My dogs know to squeeze out SOMETHING every single time from this practice. Very useful before class or before the car or whatever. When my adult female sheltie came she was trained well but didn't know to do something every time we went out (I call it opportunistic peeing -- I give you the chance, take it). So we learned peecookie. You pee, you get a cookie. Worked for her. Now she pees on command like the shepherd.

I no one shouldn't be angry, rub nose in it, or punish, but there were only two times my boy had an accident and both times we yelled "nooooooo!" And my husband added "What's wrong with you, you know better than that!" Just the harsh tone was enough for him to be scared of an accident in the house again and drive home the point.

Keep at it. Don't assume you have a lot of time. There was a window about 3-5 months I swear I went out every 20 minutes with the pup.

4. Lakethoreau

Dec 20, 2013
    NY
    Boy, did she ever miss the memo! Thank you, Mom2Melli!