Go Back   Sheltie Forums > Sheltie Talk > General Dog Chat
Become a Premium Member Rules Support Sheltie Nation Member Map

Notices

View First Unread View First Unread  
Old May 8, 2014, 12:39 PM

Default What is THAT?

We are dog sitting for our next door neighbor's yorkiepoo. Molly is all of three whole pounds. She is absolutely cute as a button. And the whole animal kingdom of my house is very curious about her. They are sniffing her, watching her, trying to figure it out. We have told every cat that it isn't a big mouse. Clara and Tara just want to play with it, whatever it is. And little Molly wants no part of being herded. Mostly she just sits on stepson's lap, or someone's lap. It's been fun to watch.
Sponsored Links
Old May 8, 2014, 12:42 PM

it is always entertaining to dogsit and bring a different dog into the house for a while.....
never had one that small though- not sure what mine would think......
Old May 8, 2014, 02:29 PM

3 POUNDS?! Wow, never have seen a dog that little except for Dixie when she was a puppy, but I can't imagine an adult being that little! Are you SURE it's not a big mouse?
Old May 8, 2014, 02:37 PM

My boss' dogs are Japanese Chins, and they weigh approximately 6 lbs each. I always wonder what the heck he does with dogs that small.. lol. Every once in a while when I'm talking about flyball and tell him we need height dogs, he says they don't make tennis balls small enough for their mouths! (false, we have a pekepoo in our club that uses the smallest kong balls the make.. about the size of a ping pong ball).
Old May 8, 2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess041 View Post
My boss' dogs are Japanese Chins, and they weigh approximately 6 lbs each. I always wonder what the heck he does with dogs that small.. lol. Every once in a while when I'm talking about flyball and tell him we need height dogs, he says they don't make tennis balls small enough for their mouths! (false, we have a pekepoo in our club that uses the smallest kong balls the make.. about the size of a ping pong ball).

Your boss needs to look in the cat department. They have all sorts of tiny toys. Clara is small and prefers the cat toys. (But she isn't 3 lbs small.)
Old May 8, 2014, 03:27 PM

One of my girlfriends' daughters owns a 3 pound Maltese. Next to the to 7 pound poodle it looks like a stuffed toy. Sadly she bred it to a very tiny yorkie, something my friend was horrified to learn her daughter would even have considered let alone do. In the end there was an emergency C-setion and only 1 of the 2 babies lived (it looked mostly like a yorkie). She sold it for $1200, but was out of pocket almost $2000 with vet bills, stud fee and meds not to mention what she put that little gal through! Maltese is now fixed - had to be done after she recovered from the c-section...poor little mite

Mom to Hanna ( smerle born June 3, 2013)
Old May 8, 2014, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calliesmom View Post
it is always entertaining to dogsit and bring a different dog into the house for a while.....
never had one that small though- not sure what mine would think......
I, too, love dogsitting for other breeds and watching the differences from their backgrounds.

I was most amazed when sitting for a friend's young Lab.

I heard a commotion in the backyard and looked out see my Shelties circling (aka herding) a young bird in the yard.

While the Shelties had a circle around the bird, the Lab swooped right in and picked the little bird up in her mouth and brought it to me safely.

Now, trust me, I was not thrilled to be holding a bird, but my point is . . .
even though none of the dogs have had training in herding or retrieving, their instincts kicked right in.

BTW - I carried the bird to the front yard and watched until it recovered from its shock, and flew away.
Landree - Sheltie Angel
Old May 8, 2014, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabitha View Post
3 POUNDS?! Wow, never have seen a dog that little except for Dixie when she was a puppy, but I can't imagine an adult being that little! Are you SURE it's not a big mouse?
Yeah, it's a big mouse.
Old May 9, 2014, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Yeah, it's a big mouse.
It isn't as active as a mouse. She just likes sitting on someone's lap. And hiding her food in the cushions. And our dogs like to find that, so it could become a mutually symbiotic relationship.