Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Nationwide vWD/MDR1 Clinic, 6/1-6/30

Discussion in 'Events' started by tofu pup, May 11, 2012.

1. tofu pup

tofu pup Moderator

Aug 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    The SSCSC (SoCal) will be hosting a vWD/MDR1 clinic from June 1-June 30.

vWD will be $75/kit / MDR1 will be $60
    Contact is Karen Sylva
    [email protected]

Please feel free to share and cross-post information about this great opportunity!

2. Tami

Tami Forums Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2008
    Southern California
    Oh and just in case anyone is new to this you don't have to be in SoCal to participate. You pay and the vWD kits are shipped to you to use when you want.

3. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    That is interesting that the kits for vWD are shipped. Do you have details on this? I have the MDR1 for the two youngest.

4. Tami

Tami Forums Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2008
    Southern California
    Karen told me she'd send a detailed email in about a week. When she does I'll post the info. I just wanted to give people a heads up as I've seen people post occasionally looking for clinics.

5. dawns2shelties

dawns2shelties Forums Sage

Yes more details would be great! I assume this covers the cost of the testing done when we send it back?

6. k9kreationz

k9kreationz Forums Celebrity

Oct 24, 2008
    I thought most breeders test for vWD. Is it hereditary? Is there anyone that SHOULD get tested?

I keep thinking I should test my boys for MDR1, have the kits and everything, but it's soooo expensive. :(

On the upside, noticed they're doing testing (or the whole kit thing) at ASCA trials. Which is a perfect place IMHO.

7. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Yes VWD is hereditary. Unfortunately no most breeder do not test for it. Why I don't know.

A puppy can also be Clear by Parentage. That means the dad and mom are clear so the puppies can be labeled clear. It is only good for 1 generation. Theorectically if you only breed clear to clear then all will be clear forever unless you bring it in. But tests can be wrong, genes mutate, people lie, so OFA clear by parentage is only the next generation. It does happen. I know of 2 dogs who were supposed to be clear and where actually carriers.(big name pedigrees too)

ie Diva is clear/clear and Jamie is clear/clear so their puppy Roper is clear by parentage. If he turns out and is to be bred he will not need to be tested before breeding but his puppies would.

75$ is a great price for VWD as depending on how many dogs need testing usual price is $112-140. I have all the adult done but I'll need to check if any of the hopeful do.

8. Tami

Tami Forums Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2008
    Southern California
    Ok here is the flyer info. You can copy and cross post.

Southern California Shetland Sheepdog Club

And Blue Ridge Shetland Sheepdog Club

Are pleased to Sponsor*

Von Willebrand Disease Clinic

(vWD – through VetGen) / MDR1 – Multi Drug Reaction*

Clinic running 01 June 2012 through 30 June 2012*

Once again Blue Ridge Shetland Sheepdog Club is providing a vWD Clinic (von Willebrands Disease – through VetGen).* The cost for the vWD kit is,per kit is $75.00.* We are offering as well as the MDR1 from Washington State University. The cost of the MDR1 is is $60 per kit. Please read the requirements for both tests* they are different. The following information is needed:*

FOR vWD / von Willebrands Disease

Your Name:

Your Address:

Your Phone Number:*
    Breed Type / Test Type:

Quantity:

Amount: ($75.00 per kit)*
    Payment method:* VISA, Mastercard, Check or Money Order*

Paying by Credit Card:

Name as it appears on Credit Card:

Credit Card Number:

Credit Card Expiration Date:

Security Code on back of Card:*
    Paying by Check or Money Order:*
    Payable to VetGen

Payable in U.S. Funds

Mailed to: Karen Sylva

12806 Sunnyglen Drive

Moreno Valley, CA 92553-5621

For further information please contact Karen Sylva, at 951-247-6897 (Land Line)

703-915-3500 (Cell.)*
    VWD/von Willebrand's Disease/Bernese Mtn Dog/Doberman Pinscher/Drentsche Patrijshond/German Pinscher/Kerry Blue Terrier/ Manchester Terrier/Papillon/Pembroke Welsh Corgi/Poodle/Scottish Terrier/ Shetland Sheepdog / Kooiherhondje/ Deutch Drahthaar* PRA/Prog. Retinal Atrophy Irish Setter

PK/Pyruvic Kinase Defic. Basenji Factor 7* Giant Schnauzer*****

For the MDR1 – Washington State University*

Order the cheek swab from Washington State University through the website below:*

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts-VCPL/test.aspx*
    Order a cheek swab test Kit online. *

Swab your dogs cheek and fill out the form.*

Mail the swabs and check in the amount of $60.00 per kit,* made payable to Karen Sylva (In order to get this discount WSU requires only 1 check to be submitted with the swabs and forms.* I will submit the correct amount to WSU for ALL submissions.*

Mail to:

Karen Sylva

12806 Sunnyglen Drive

Moreno Valley, CA 92553-5621*
    Any questions regarding the vWD and/or MDR1* Please call: Karen Sylva at: 951-247-6897 (Land Line) or 703-915-3500.************** *****************************