Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Sheltie Puppy Thyroid problem? + Coat Question

Discussion in 'General Health' started by kayubassist, Mar 26, 2014.

1. kayubassist

kayubassist Forums Novice

Mar 26, 2014
    Vancouver
    Hi

I am a new sheltie owner, adopted (bought) a Sheltie puppy just recently.
    Not new to having dogs but certainly new to Shelties.

Before I went and got the puppy, I researched online and tried to avoid any possible genetic problems that Shelties might have.

I looked at both parents, healthy and full of beautiful coat. Dad had white/brown/black coat that you usually find on internet, mom had white/brown with shorter hair but I assumed that was a blown coat after having babies.

Anyway, one of the ears is starting to stand up as you see in the picture, but the other one is just hanging down like retrievers' ears. I looked inside the ear and found some wax just outside the ear canal. There was no serious infection like my old dog had, heavy wax build up in the whole ear.

I looked up on the internet and found a website (Illinois rescue) and it talked about ear infection is related to hypothroidism.

Has anyone had similar problem with this? Do I need to get my puppy tested for hypothroidism?

Also regarding the coat, I noticed that my puppy does not have fluffy coat like other puppies on internet. Do I need to worry that this is somewhat related to the ear and hypotyroidism? Will it grow into full coat if I wait it out?

FYI, the parents had no health issues. (not from a breeder, he is from a family pet litter) The puppy is 8 weeks old today.

Here are pictures

https://www.flickr.com/photos/65282972@N08/13428787673/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/65282972@N08/13428672985/

Thank you for reading and any comment is appreciated!

2. EJHUNTL

EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    Welcome - your pup seems to have a very typical coat for his age. As for the ears standing up - they actually need to be glued down at this age if you want them to stay that way. It's a personal choice, but without gluing most puppies ears will stand up eventually.

Can't help you on the ear wax thing - first I ever heard about that. Unless your pup is developing symptoms, lethargy, excess weight gain, dull coat... I don't see a need to test for hypothyroidism. Just wait and see - chances are your puppy is completely normal.

Do a search on "Hanna Mondays" - I have posted weekly pics of my girl, now about 10 months, you will see that while she started out quite fluffy, there is a period where the coat is quite short before it starts to grow again.

3. kayubassist

Mar 26, 2014
    Vancouver
    Thank you for your reply Hanna's mom. Hanna looks beautiful.

I hope my Jang Kun (means brave guy/army general in Korean) is healthy and it is just my imagination mixed up with too much information on internet.
    Jang Kun seems very healthy, eats well, runs around like a little energizer bunny, and sleeps well, definitely not overweight.
    Just worrying about the little bit of ear wax that came out of nowhere... he is not shaking his head or scratching...

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  4. Lightplum

Lightplum Forums Sage

Jan 4, 2009
    Rhode Island
    ok
    1. This is a puppy, totally normal puppy coat.
    2. ears, unless you tape/glue the ears they most likely will go prick. Just how they are.
    3. for thyroid issues to show up it "normally" takes till they are 4+ years old.
    4. If you have concerns about thyroid ask the breeder. They will be able to tell you if they have had any genetic issues.

5. Junebug

Junebug Forums Regular

Nov 21, 2013
    USA
    Ear wax and ear infection are quite different, and the presence of ear wax does not mean there is an infection. Ears create wax, no matter the species.

As for puppy coat, many sheltie puppies look out of sorts for a good long while. I've got one who is almost 6 months old, and is almost a smooth sheltie. I know I need to wait, and his coat will come in.

6. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Ear wax and weepy eyes is common in puppies - think of little kids with snotty noses.

The coat is actually pretty fluffy for an 8wk old puppy. That's all puppy fuzz anyway, you wont see the adult coat for some time.

How long have you had the pup for - not a good idea getting a pup before 8wks old.

7. EJHUNTL

EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    Also wanted to add- that any new puppy should see a vet the first week you have them home to make sure there aren't any obvious problems. Also you will want first shots and worming if that has not been done.

8. mellie

mellie Forums Enthusiast

May 18, 2011
    East Coast
    Your little guy is adorable. As mentioned, he will get his coat later on, so don't worry. Completely off topic , but do you play a Kay bass by any chance ??

9. kayubassist

Mar 26, 2014
    Vancouver
    thank you all for your inputs.
    I took him to a vet and had him dewormed.
    He vomitted out a spaghetti noodle (ugh) one night and it got me really worried.
    Now all the worms are out with poo (I think). I am going to the vet again this weekend to have the second shot and deworming again for him.
    He seems very healthy.
    Only thing I would worry is that I took him home at 6 weeks. I tried to make him socialize with my parents dog everyday.
    gluing is very messy. one other ear is still down like a retrievers' ears. the other one is up and tipped nicely. I am going to glue this one until he finishes teething. I am not sure about the other one that's hanging down...

10. Bradt9881

Bradt9881 Forums Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2014
    Fayetteville, NC
    The down ear may need bracing. You can glue to fur on the inner sides together to make a bridge in addition to the tips down, or use something like moleskin to brace them.