Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Humping?

Discussion in 'Considering a Sheltie?' started by sheltielover123, Aug 7, 2014.

1. sheltielover123

sheltielover123 Forums Novice

Aug 7, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Hey,

I was thinking of getting a sheltie puppy and am wondering, will females hump as well? Will they hump as much as males? How do I get them to stop? Does anyone have a sheltie that does not hump?

Thanks

2. JessicaR

JessicaR Forums Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2008
    Tiffin Ohio
    Any dog can hump male or female. I have a male that has been fixed since 6 months old, and he will try to hump my females. My alpha female will, not exactly hump but will mount other dogs male or female to assert her dominance, while my other female will hump other dogs when she is in heat. My intact male doesn't hump at all.
    It just depends on the dog.

3. melbell

melbell Forums Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2013
    Erie, Pennyslvania
    I agree with Jessica. It depends on the dog. My parents have an intact male who first humped my husband's arm. He now will hump my male who's intact, and try to hump my female. My female who's intact will hump feet... it's her thing. No other dog's or anything, just the occasional foot. My intact male has never humped minus trying to hump my female when in heat, but... she put a stop to that.

That being said, not all my dogs do it. Just those ones. You can just kick the dog off (not hard, just like a shake) or say "uh huh"

4. Lunatic59

Lunatic59 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Our last Sheltie (an altered male blue) didn't start humping until his senior years. We used to call him the dirty old man. :wink2:

Our two young sable males don't hump at all. No telling what goes through their furry little heads sometimes.

5. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    2 Aussie males/1 female -- all altered. Not a single hump. I know the one male was a breeder neutered at 3 years, the other two were average neuter dates for pets.

1 sheltie female former breeder -- no humping.
    1 shepherd male very early neuter in rescue -- rarely, only my female cat.
    1 sheltie male pup -- climbing on top of female not exactly humping (we shall see with time!)

6. ellenspn

ellenspn Forums Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2014
    Swamps of NE Illinois
    When Danny was young, he kept humping my female shelties head. After a few years he figured out which end of the girl would not get him bit :)

7. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    5 shelties have live was me- 1 intact male now 12yrs, 1 spayed(at 2 yrs) female 9yrs, 1 intact female passed away at almost 5yrs, 1 neutered(at 1.5 yrs) almost 3yr Male and 1 20.5 weeks male old puppy.

2 of these dogs have humped my cat on a regular basis. Nope not the males the 2 females. In fact, the intact male humps nothing and isn't even interested in intact girls unless they're are in standing heat.

8. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Cats do not fare well -- not that the dogs chase them, they hump them! Eh, the cats probably deserve it!

9. cookieP

cookieP Forums Regular

Jan 28, 2014
    Spartanburg, SC
    My sheltie has been neutered since 6 months and does not hump, not even toys or his bed or other dogs or anything. Well. Occasionally once in a blue moon he will hump the cat.

That said, I work at a doggy day care and some days most of my job is stopping dogs from mounting other dogs. Some of our worst humpers are female. The sex of the dog doesn't seem to matter. Males hump males, females hump females, males hump females, females hump males…it is totally and completely dependent on the dog. I have had intact males that never humped. I had a spayed beagle a while back that if she wasn't eating or drinking, she was probably somewhere humping something.

10. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Both of our spayed females humped.

Hollie would hump your foot or your arm.

Shelby has a pillow that she humps. I couldn't figure out how one pillow in the guest bedroom kept getting squashed. Until one day I was in the room and Shelby comes running in, jumps on the bed, and starts humlping the pillow! That is the only thing she humps. Every once in a while you hear her go upstairs and a few moments later you hear her jump off the bed and come back down needless to say we don't use that pillow:ick