Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Strangest color I have ever seen in a sable

Discussion in 'Sheltie Colors' started by Sheltie.Mama, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Bradt9881

Bradt9881 Forums Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2014
    Fayetteville, NC
    Obviously I couldn't tell by looking, hehe. But I do love Mendelian genetics!

2. Sheltie.Mama

Sheltie.Mama Forums Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2013
    Montana
    Lol. I never really knew! They are both beautiful though.:smile2:

3. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    So then what is the ultimately magical combination?

If I were to buy (not that I am, it's hypothetical) -- ONE male and ONE female and wanted to breed for puppies of all colors specfically, what would the combo be? I specifically want to have as many different color options in the puppies as possible (it's a given their familial disease and helth cert history is spotless and they are so perfect themselves as young adults that I would literally be doing a disservice to mankind NOT to breed them -- when I go hypothetical I go BIG!).

Example in point from my past: IF you have a persian female cat who is a dilute tortie (blue/cream) in color and solid in pattern though she had one parent who was pointed (Himi) and one who was solid (Persian -- tabby pattern specifically for the biggest bang for the buck) and bred her to specifically a flame point himi who had one parent who was a dilute and one who was not . . . you can get every color of the rainbow whether dilute or not and tabby or not and pointed or not. You can also use a tortie female (with a Himi parent who was dilute and a Persian parent who was tabby) and a cream point male OR a flame point male if you know he also had a dilute parent. These two/three combinations produce the most combination of colors and patterns from dilute to non-dilute, solids to tabbies, solids to pointed. Taste the rainbow!

What is the best rainbow choice for two shelties? Just curious.

4. Gina

Gina Forums Enthusiast

Apr 24, 2010
    Florida
    A bi factored sable merle and a bi factored tri, I believe, would give you the colors of the rainbow :lol:

5. Sheltie.Mama

Dec 25, 2013
    Montana
    If I were to breed, I would try for that to. I would want (at Least) a bi-blue, a tricolor, and a sable. In a few years I will probably get a bi-blue boy.:biggrin2:
    Those are just some of my favorite colors.

6. Sheltie.Mama

Dec 25, 2013
    Montana
    How would we get that combo?

7. Mom2Melli

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Just remember that before breeding you need to test for certain things and many of those tests can't be done too young.

8. Bradt9881

Bradt9881 Forums Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2014
    Fayetteville, NC
    I would avoid crosses to get a sable merle myself. It's too easy to get a cryptic sable merle, and therefore easy to get an unexpected double merle when bred to another merle unknowingly.....

9. Mom2Melli

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    But if I had just the TWO animals as listed below and never bred with another animal or maybe only another female the same color, then I would be OK? This is all hypothetical -- never gonna happen in my universe anyway. I certainly wouldn't want to risk producing a double merle, even through hidden genetics.

If I wanted to go off the deep end and really do something unique-- I would produce blue shepherds. STUNNING and totally not an approved color. Breeding for them frowned upon though they are just gorgeous.

As gamey as I am gonna get is a well-bred blue merle or bi-blue (no preference) and enjoy a variety of sports.

It was only a curiosity question -- a bit of fantasy.

10. Sheltie.Mama

Dec 25, 2013
    Montana
    A double merle.. Wow he is gorgeous but a very bold move! I'm surprised he didn't end up blind and/or deaf.