Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Chw?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Colors' started by Mom2Melli, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Is there anyone really great who breeds them (maybe in the "performance crowd") in California or maybe Nevada? I really would like one but I would only want someone clearly not breeding for or accidentally getting a DM.

Anyway, if anyone knows of a male puppy CHW from a good responsible breeder some day, let me know. Someday I will add a puppy and really do agility, rally, scent, flyball (whatever) all-out. Til then me and Melli will dabble and keep ourselves busy.

2. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Keep in mind that CHW and double merle are completely different. You get a CHW from breeding two white factored dogs. There are no health issues with CHW, they're just not a desired color in AKC (ok in UKC).

I'm guessing you just mentioned the DM thing because you aren't interested in a breeder who doesn't breed them, but I just wanted to mention it just in case!

3. Mom2Melli

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Correct. I know the CHW is a healthy but non-desired color based on the white factor. I just don't want anyone "shady" trying to pass a DM off as a CHW. That would be why I mentioned that.

I just really like the looks of them and since I won't be in the "show" ring, why not? I have like a 5-year goal to run into one and obtain.

4. Tabitha

Tabitha Forums Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    I wouldn't imagin it would be the easiest to find CHW's from good breeders, although it does happen. You'd be more likly to find them with BYBs or at rescues/shelters. But again, you may just find a good quality CHW, it may take a bit of looking though!:wink2:

EDIT: It was just pointed out to me in a PM that my post my be taken the wrong way, so let me explane more clearly. Most breeders don't TRY to get CHW's (as some BYB's do) so it's not as easy to find as a sable, blue, or black in good or high quality litters. If I did offend anyone with my statement I wasn't meaning to.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  5. Mom2Melli

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Exactly. It would be hard to find just the right set of circumstances. So if anyone runs into one someday, shoot me a heads up.

Male -- CHW -- 0 - 3 years -- in or around CA -- likes cats, dogs, people -- rally / agility / scent possible with an OFF switch!

I can just see myself with one -- let's see if one sees itself with ME and lands in my lap.

6. JessicaR

JessicaR Forums Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2008
    Tiffin Ohio
    Try talking to someone that shows in UKC since they are allowed to be shown with them. I know of a breeder in Ohio that has CHW occasionally. She doesn't specifically breed for them, but since she shows in UKC she doesn't not breed for them, if that makes sense :lol:

I also would to someday have a CHW I think they are beautiful!

7. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    We had a bi blue one by accident. Didn't think mom was white factored and surprise!

The shocking thing is the amount of people interested in her from the day she was born. The even more shocking thing is the number of coocoo fringe BYBers who came out of the wood work wanting her for nothing more than her color.

8. rose

rose Forums Enthusiast

Nov 30, 2011
    washington
    showing off my CHW, Zander

Attached Files:

9. EJHUNTL

EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    People like "unusual", so I'm not at all surprised you have lots of people wanting that puppy. I'm also really happy that you have the skills to sort out a good home for her and she does not end up with some BYB.

10. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    This is the sole reason we still have breeds like Bulldogs, I think.