Go Back   Sheltie Forums > Breed Handling > Getting Started in Conformation
Become a Premium Member Rules Support Sheltie Nation Member Map

Notices

View First Unread View First Unread  
Old Jul 29, 2014, 01:55 PM

Default Oy.....

My breeder is offering me an 18 month old male that is already show trained.

My brain is now on overdrive....what to do....
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 29, 2014, 02:50 PM

If he fits your plans do it! I would love to "skip ahead" to 18 months but oh, we are still a little one and trying not to pee on the couch or ourselves.
Shaman Von Raesfeld - GSD Mix 02/06/11-- Aussies at Bridge: Quasar, Holly, & Mayson
Old Jul 29, 2014, 11:15 PM

Isn't that fantastic, to be offered a show quality, show ready dog!!! How exciting! Do what is best for you, and enjoy the compliment of the offer!
Old Jul 30, 2014, 09:35 AM

Unhappy

My local friends and husband are against it. They are very concerned about his socialization and temperament. I'm a performance person at heart and if all he can do is conformation then I'm not the right home. He's currently living with a friend of the breeder. Plus the fact I have 5 other dogs and Ribbon and Shiloh need a lot more training.

Still waiting to hear from the breeder about the details. The suspense is killing me.

Last edited by ellenspn; Jul 30, 2014 at 09:39 AM.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 10:23 AM

Dogs that are show ready should be very well socialized. After all, a judge walks up and lays hands everywhere on that dog without benefit of giving it a moment to decide whether it wants to be touched.
Having good confirmation means it is physically capable of performance events.
It needs to be able to be in a crowded venue with lots of other people and dogs. That is something it might be lacking in and therefore is being placed in a pet home. Ask.
Most of the Belgian people I know, Belgians being a cautious breed by nature, and many of the westie people have titles at both ends of the dog's name.
Vets love show trained dogs. Easy to work on without getting a muzzle out. I have had more vets express their desire for more dogs to be as comfortable with handling as mine are.
Ask yourself if your dogs will accept an adult coming in.
Is there conditions that the breeder wishes to impose that you are uncomfortable with. If so, then walk away.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagg View Post
Dogs that are show ready should be very well socialized. After all, a judge walks up and lays hands everywhere on that dog without benefit of giving it a moment to decide whether it wants to be touched.
Having good confirmation means it is physically capable of performance events.
It needs to be able to be in a crowded venue with lots of other people and dogs. That is something it might be lacking in and therefore is being placed in a pet home. Ask.
Most of the Belgian people I know, Belgians being a cautious breed by nature, and many of the westie people have titles at both ends of the dog's name.
Vets love show trained dogs. Easy to work on without getting a muzzle out. I have had more vets express their desire for more dogs to be as comfortable with handling as mine are.
Ask yourself if your dogs will accept an adult coming in.
Is there conditions that the breeder wishes to impose that you are uncomfortable with. If so, then walk away.
Yes they are supposed to be socialized to show in conformation. However, unfortunately in shelties socialized enough for conformation does always translate into socialized enough or having the proper temperment for performance.

My friend and I finished a CH who we got at 6 months. He was quite reserved and unsure when we got him and with hard work we were able to get him ready to show. He showed well, never put a foot out of place. He was a nice enough dog that he finish just after his 2nd birthday( all owner handled). However, he was totally unsuited for agility or obedience or any other type of performance event. We no longer have him and he lives with someone who appeciates what he has to offer the breed.

I have seen enough Shelties unfortunately, which they will trot around on a lead, stand stock still and allow judges to touch them and show well but are totally unsuited for performance. I am sorry performance socialization is so much more intense and you need to teach that dog to use its brain and not to be afraid to use its brain in any situation. Heck a lot conformation people don't even want to teach the dog to sit because they are afraid it will use its brain. Not saying that this 18 months old is not going to be suitable. But if doing performance is a huge priorty and a must, I would met the dog in person and work with it a bit before making any decisions.
At the bridge forever in my heart-UCH UAGII Diva CDX MX MXJ OF RA
Old Aug 1, 2014, 03:40 PM

Unhappy The Silence Is Deafening

She hasn't answered my questions and I think she's wanting me to convince her that I am willing to show him to his AKC championship.

I want to, that is certainly my goal. I have a handler I can use as long as I do the show grooming and I need to learn how to do that.

I think if Danny wasn't so ill I would be pushier. I'm sure that this whole situation is entertaining to an outsider

I keep emailing her about other things, but I really want to talk about the puppy. I'm sure she's annoyed at me about now.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 01:25 PM

To echo some of what Dr. Shelli said about conformation dogs not necessarily being good performance dogs, CJ was A LOT of hard work!

CJ was a cconfirmation dog before being placed with us at 3 years old. She didn't know sit nor did she know how to think. She still doesn't really like situations where she has to think. Training her for agility, rally and treibball is still a challenge but she's much improved. We still have moments where she basically goes, "I'm done, not playing any more."

That's our experience with a confirmation dog turned performance dog. Your experiences may differ.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 06:18 PM

Default It may be moot

There may not be any decision to make. Someone else has first dibs on him.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 06:42 PM

Fletcher is a bit of a soft dog in the show ring, but is happy as a pig in a mud hole when herding....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (31.9 KB, 14 views)