Go Back   Sheltie Forums > Health > General Health
Become a Premium Member Rules Support Sheltie Nation Member Map

Notices

View First Unread View First Unread  
Old Jul 17, 2014, 08:22 AM

Default Bandaging an elbow pressure sore

Okay - were still dealing with an elbow pressure sore on Chelsea's elbow and it is getting worse. We are having a awful time keeping a bandage on it, in place and properly padded. We place a bandage directly on the sore (usually place flax oil or fish/omega3 oil on the sore as well as the bandage to keep it lubricated and not stick to the sore) then wind vet wrap around the leg to hold the bandage in place. The vet wrap sticks to itself. If it is too tight it causes other problems.

We are on the road right now (I train clients) and my wife and Chelsea are with me. When we get home we will fashion some sort of saddle going up and over the shoulers to hold a stuffed pad in place.

But how do we keep a medicated bandage in place and not slip off this elbow??

Tim
Smitten by Chelsea Louise Eva Goldie
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 17, 2014, 08:54 AM

Tim...

Until you get home and can make an over the shoulder holder...can you loop the vet wrap over her shoulders and under her chest and around the bandage to hold it from slipping off her leg? Bandage the sore area...then take the vet wrap and circle the bandage a couple of times...leaving a good 2+ feet of wrap free and then take that end over her back, under her chest and back around the bandage...hope this works as a "stop gap" measure for now.

Her sore should be improving...have you had a skin scraping to see if she has staph set in?

Sorry she is having such a tough time with this.

Trini
Old Jul 17, 2014, 09:11 AM

They make a tacky like bandage wrap for people that does work for pets, it like sticks to it self. I have used it on mine before.
When I go to my oncologist and get shots or a blodd draw they wrap us after wards with this type of bandage. I found the following for you.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/wal...6002622-produc

http://www.petco.com/product/111024/...dage-Wrap.aspx
Maggie and Katie- always in our hearts.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 09:13 AM

PS you might want to look into Coconut oil. Great for outer sores and taken internally heals lots of problems.

http://www.cocotherapy.com/
Maggie and Katie- always in our hearts.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 08:00 AM

Hi Trini,
Thanks for your previous comments on the other thread too. Some of that we are trying to implement actually.

The area "smells" clean when we change bandages. I smell the bandage itself and smell the sore on purpose. But no, it has not been scraped. We got home last night from the road quite late and I will be trying to get her looked at today. Last time the vet looked at it she was not overly alarmed.

So maybe I'm just being a nervous "daddy", but she's my girl.
Thank you!
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by trini gilmore View Post
Tim...

Until you get home and can make an over the shoulder holder...can you loop the vet wrap over her shoulders and under her chest and around the bandage to hold it from slipping off her leg? Bandage the sore area...then take the vet wrap and circle the bandage a couple of times...leaving a good 2+ feet of wrap free and then take that end over her back, under her chest and back around the bandage...hope this works as a "stop gap" measure for now.

Her sore should be improving...have you had a skin scraping to see if she has staph set in?

Sorry she is having such a tough time with this.

Trini
Old Jul 18, 2014, 08:09 AM

Hi Susan!
Yes in fact that's exactly what we've been using. We got off the road quite late last night and looked things over this morning first thing. Things actually looked pretty good. (well,.. better anyway)
Thank you!
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac3890 View Post
They make a tacky like bandage wrap for people that does work for pets, it like sticks to it self. I have used it on mine before.
When I go to my oncologist and get shots or a blodd draw they wrap us after wards with this type of bandage. I found the following for you.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/wal...6002622-produc

http://www.petco.com/product/111024/...dage-Wrap.aspx
Old Jul 18, 2014, 08:50 AM

Tim, hopefully your vet will have some suggestions to get this sore under good control. Our older doggies (like senior humans) always take longer for any healing. Like you, I worry when something is "off" for my little ones...better to be a "nervous" Dad and have it checked out.

Trini
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:42 PM

Just saw this.. but have you tried creating a donut shape with bandages? You place the donut over the sore (sore in the hole), and then bandage around the donut to keep it in place. This keeps everything off the sore. I suppose if you need to keep something on the sore (like a medicated pad), you can put the donut over it. The donut works well for pointy elbow type places.

116272_f260.jpg