Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Recipe for Sweet Potato chews

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by karol, Aug 23, 2010.

1. karol

karol Forums Regular

Jun 26, 2010
    Rochester NY
    Does your dog like this sweet potato dog chew? Making your own all natural dog treat is an excellent alternative to rawhide.

Recipe for Sweet Potato Chews

Ingredients:
    • 1 Large Sweet Potato, washed & dried
    Instructions:
    1. Preheat oven to 250° F
    2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
    3. Cut off one side of the sweet potato lengthwise, as close to the edge as possible. Cutting the side of the potato first allows you to then turn the potato onto this flat surface that you have just created. Having a stable area to rest the potato will make it easier to cut the potato into slices. Don't discard that first piece; it comes out just as yummy as the rest!
    4. Cut the rest of the potato into 1/3" slices, no smaller than 1/4".
    5. Place them on the prepared baking sheet.
    6. Bake for 3 hours, turning half way through.
    7. Cool completely on a wire rack.

Storing - Although these treats are dried, you will want to keep them in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks. You can freeze them for up to 4 months.

Tips & Techniques• Choosing a Sweet Potato - You want to find a potato that is as uniform in shape as possible. This will aid in the drying process as the pieces will be similar in shape and will cook through at the same time. Knife Skills - If you are a pro with a knife, you may not need to cut off one side to stable your potato. If that's the case, then by all means skip that step.
    Degree of Chewiness - Baking for 3 hours results in a soft, but chewy dog treat. If your dog prefers more of a crunch, then bake for an additional 20-30 minutes. When you take the sweet potatoes out of the oven, they may at first appear to be too soft. Let them cool completely on a wire rack before you decide whether or not to bake them longer. This is because they will continue to dry or harden while cooling.
    Whether your dog has a need to chew or not, she'll love this all natural sweet potato dog chew. In fact, it's such an easy dog treat recipe; I bet you'll be making several batches at a time for your dog!

~enjoy...Karol & Sadie

2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    My dogs LOVE sweet potato anything, thanks for this! I've been buying the rawhide wrapped in sweet potato and it's their favorite. I'm already printing this out. :yes:

3. mbfrench

mbfrench Forums Celebrity

Aug 2, 2009
    South Carolina
    I am going to give these a try.The guys here love sweet potato anything~:wink2:

I was going to buy a couple this week,anyhow as I want to try sweet potato fries for us one night for supper.

4. Belladora

Belladora Forums Enthusiast

Feb 10, 2010
    Rowlett, Texas
    thanks for the recipe i will be trying these too:wink2:

5. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    Thank,-you thank-you thank-you for posting this!

I am so excited to try it out. My dogs love their sweet potato chews!

6. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    cook it?:confused2: - my shelties snap the slices right out of my hands :winkgrin:
    I had bought sweet potato treats at one of the pet stores- Happy and Callie liked them and were good for them. then the store stopped carrying the treats. so one day in the store, I buy a sweet potato and take it home. cut a couple slices, yuummm- Callie loves them. so then she's at the petsitters- who has a bag of sweet potatoes on the floor in the kitchen- not put away yet. so who helps herself- Yep Callie had a little feast :lol:

7. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I made these today and can't believe how the dogs scarfed them down! They are a hit, and won't last long.

Funny story ... I'm standing in the supermarket picking through sweet potatoes in the bin looking for the perfect specimens, and a woman standing next to me pulls one out and says, "If you're looking for that size, here's one." I explained that I was actually looking for potatoes that were symetrical to make dog treats. After she picked her mouth up from dropping so far she had to hear how they're made and I did my best to recite the recipe from memory. Somewhere in Connecticut, two Golden Retrievers are also enjoying slightly undercooked sweet potato chews tonight -- I said cook them for two hours instead of three! :uhoh:

8. dawns2shelties

dawns2shelties Forums Sage

9. dawns2shelties

dawns2shelties Forums Sage

10. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    I don't cook often, so please excuse my ignorance....but do you take the potato skin off for the dogs?

I think I'm going to make these as a treat for thanksgiving. Thanks for sharing the recipe!