Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Scent work

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by jumba, May 8, 2015.

1. jumba

jumba Forums Enthusiast

Oct 15, 2013
    Fl
    Just updating this thread :)

Addie completed Scent Work 1, and has moved on to Scent Work 2. She started on birch this past week, and although I have a wicked sinus infection and have temporarily (hopefully!) lost my ability to smell, she sure smells it. DH tells me its really strong, like wintergreen.

We are pairing the scent with yummy treats for right now, and will slowly phase the treats out. Week one of class 2 was back to boxes, though, at home we practiced without boxes and she did really well. She can now find high or low, and has a really good "tell". Though she be small, she is fierce when it comes to this sport, and I may be biased, but I think she is probably one of the better dogs in the class. Everyone seems to love watching her search. She is known as the cheater (she likes to peek), so I either have to cover her eyes, or walk her out of the room so it can be reset). She hates when it is not her turn, and can be heard in the other room in her crate howling (so adorable, by the way, but we do not encourage).

She gets very confident in this class and Iove watching her work. Trainer says that in November she can be tested so we can compete, so as long as she continues to improve, and enjoy it, we will keep advancing through the classes :)

A few weeks ago: (Class 1, week 2 and week 5 I believe)
    https://instagram.com/p/3uujb-wetL/
    https://instagram.com/p/4Sv8UWwepn/

2. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Glad to here she is really enjoying nose work! We took some time off but we are going to start again next week.

Shelby is just like Addie, carrying on in her crate when it is not her turn to search!!

Happy sniffin!

3. cmae

cmae Forums Enthusiast

Nov 21, 2014
    Kelowna, BC
    Great pictures! She looks like a girl on a mission :yes: Cruz and I get to dabble in scent work this Tuesday! I'm excited to see how he will do!