Go Back   Sheltie Forums > Health > Behavior
Become a Premium Member Rules Support Sheltie Nation Member Map

Notices

View First Unread View First Unread  
Old Aug 6, 2013, 12:42 AM

Default Barking on walks

Riley has become very barky on walks. He barks and wants to chase cars, bikes and people. I have tried to get him to focus on me which sometimes works if he isn't already barking. How can I train him to stop barking at inappropriate times? He is 5 months, could this just be a puppy thing? We are starting obediance in September but I would like to work on it before then.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 6, 2013, 05:09 AM

I think it is partly a puppy thing, but one that could become a long term habit.

When he starts barking turn around quick smart and walk in the other direction. And yes, you could end up walking in circles a lot (happened to me with Tully at the same age). But the soon figure out they bark, they get taken away. If he gets super barky and you are near home, go home and get him to calm down before setting out again.

If it gets unmanageable you could get a head collar, which will give you more control over his reactivity (I'd wait just a little until he 6mths).

Btw - what is his state when you leave for your walk? Is he already hyped up, most dogs are before their walk? After you've put on his collar/lead but before you head out, do some basic commands - sits, drops, shake hand, whatever. This should help calm him down and also get him focusing on you before you start your walk.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 06:13 AM

He is calm before we go on walks (or atleast not super hyper). He goes out to pottty on a leash so he doesn't always expect a leash to mean walk, for all he knows being on a leash may mean going out to potty.

He gave me a scare last night when he took off and ran several houses down after he saw a car go by. He has never done that before. I hope if I can stop that habit on walks, he won"t do it at home.

What is the best way to teach a command to not bark?
Old Aug 6, 2013, 07:34 AM

Honey stopped chasing and barking at bikes once my husband met us on a walk and accompanied us a few times...kind of got inured to it...

The walking away part is great advice, we used it on Ours when she started barking barking at approaching dogs. Once she realized that behavior was stealing playtime from her she shaped right up. You could also try some high motivational teats, meat or cheese. Step a bit away from the road when you see a car coming and hold it up in front, make them sit calmly until the car is past.