Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Mats behid the ears

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by Silaria, Apr 13, 2012.

1. mellie

mellie Forums Enthusiast

May 18, 2011
    East Coast
    Sally has really silky fur behind her ears that mats very easily , so I use baby powder / corn starch on that fur and it has really helped prevent this. Maybe this would work for you too.

2. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Rub either cornstarch or the baby powder in the ear, then using a wide tooth comb, staring at the ends, try to work out the mats. Sometimes I alternate the comb and a slicker. The slicker works well to loosen things up enough for the comb to finish its workl.

If that still doesn't work, if you have a thinning shear, cut vertically through the matt towards the ear in 1 or 2 places, then comb/slicker again. It might take a couple of scissors before it breaks up enough to comb out, but it will eventually, and without removing too much hair. Or you can take the tooth edge of the thinning shear and use it like a comb to work out the matt, then use the comb or slicker remove the hair.

The LAST thing you want to do is cut out the matt horizontally! :(

Hope this makes sense.

3. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    Bailey had a mat behind her ear that was the size of a silver dollar!

It was gigantic. It must have developed over night from the grease of her ear medication.

I was able to untangle some of it, but she was screaming and biting the brush. :( At least she hates the brush and not me...

I ended up cutting most of it out because trying to untangle it was clearly hurting her. I put some baby powder on her ear fur to absorb the grease.

4. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

I'm going to question the trimming of the length of hair under and behind the ears.

Frankly, I woudn't do it. I think you will end with a bald,blunted look. Vertical cuts, yes, to break up mats, but horizontal cuts? No. I've been through my books and nowhere does it say to shorten the hair behind/under the ear to eliminate mats.

Maybe I misunderstood what was being suggested by Lightplum? :confused2:

As for avoiding mats....regular brushing is the best defence (I use my slicker and sometimes comb). Since I've been diligent lately about this with Indy who does have that silky soft fur, I have not had mats for months.

5. Lightplum

Lightplum Forums Sage

Jan 4, 2009
    Rhode Island
    let me see if I can get a pic...my guys have been in the pool the last 2 days so their fur isnt photo nice ;) let me see if I can brush one up to show the length to not get mats...and I do cut horizontal to the shape of the back of the ear...vertical will give you holes.

6. romeosangiovese

romeosangiovese Forums Enthusiast

Sep 29, 2008
    Singapore
    I usually splice mats then comb them out. I will hold off doing any trimming until I see Lightplum's photos, in case I make a huuuuge mistake. Juliet will hate me if I don't make her pretty! :lol:

7. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Standing by....I suspect that we might be talking about two different part of the head.

When I say don't cut horizontal I mean at the base (i.e. back and outside) of the ear, blending into the ruff.

It is at the bottom of ear and into the ruff that matts tend to form. For this reason, I say never to cut horizontal.

But perhaps Lightplum is referring to something else.....

8. Lightplum

Lightplum Forums Sage

Jan 4, 2009
    Rhode Island
    oops thanks I actually forgot...here is the link let me know if it doesnt work...its not the best pic to show how short since his fur is still damp from his bath..but it shows how close I cut off the straggly wild fur that causes the mats.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  9. romeosangiovese

romeosangiovese Forums Enthusiast

Sep 29, 2008
    Singapore
    Oohh yes I don't see any of the wispy bits in that photo. And it doesn't look like there are any bald patches, so that's good! :biggrin2: I'll have to give it a try. Combing out mats is a big pain for me but mostly for Juliet! Thanks for the picture Lightplum!

I sometimes wish I could get my husband to do it so she doesn't always associate that pain with me (but I know he'll do a hack job so that's never going to happen!). :lol:

10. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

The ears look awesome! I'm mostly impressed with the ear tips themselves though. What is your technique for trimming the ears? Very even and not overly trimmed from what I could see from the photo. Perfect length!

Would you set out your steps for us?

One comment though......I still hesitate to encourage anyone to cut guard hairs horizontally. Guard hair seems to take forever to grow back. If you are going to cut horizontally behind the ears, make sure to lift the guard hair and only cut at the soft undercoat. Maybe that's what you do, but I thought it good to clarify.

(My boys went to a groomer over a year ago, who shaved their behinds and I'm still waiting for their fur to grow back. Bacca still looks like a year old Sheltie because of it!)