Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

collapsible crate

Discussion in 'Agility' started by melbell, Feb 17, 2014.

1. melbell

melbell Forums Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2013
    Erie, Pennyslvania
    As shows are starting to appear in VA again, I'm getting excited and ready to compete with both Ruutu and Honey. I do have a question though. I am in the market for a collapsible crate that could possibly fit both dogs, depending. I need a collapsible one due to the issue my car can't fit a regular size dog crate in it. It would definitely need to be sturdy since Ruutu himself is 32 pounds. Honey has rarely been in a collapsible crate and freaks out, which is why I'm more in the market for Ruutu than Honey, but if needed I'd like to be able to shove Honey in his, with him in it. I did it this past weekend because she went in his crate when I wanted him in it and they seemed to behave overall, minus Honey complaining. Do any of you have any good recommendations? Or crates to stay away from? Thanks!

2. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    A few years ago we bought the Noz 2 Noz crate (very popular here) and we love it. Sure beats schlepping around a wire crate! It's also very sturdy, and Lexi can't eat her way out (which she did a few years back with a cheap one we bought on Ebay). Well...I shouldn't challenge her as I'm sure she could eat her way out if she REALLY wanted, but what I'm trying to say is that it's very sturdy.

We got the 36" one and both dogs fit easily (both are just under 15" and around 16 lbs). You can see how much room there is in the pic of them snuggled in it together.

Attached Files:

3. dmeyer123

dmeyer123 Forums Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2011
    Eastvale, CA
    Same here, Noz 2 Noz. We have 2, though, one for each dog. Our Shih/poo did manage to eat her way out of one crate, but I found some similar mesh and was able to make a repair. I personalized each crate with craft paint.

Attached Files:

4. dmeyer123

dmeyer123 Forums Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2011
    Eastvale, CA
    I forgot to say, I found the best prices on dolittle pet supplies.com.

5. melbell

melbell Forums Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2013
    Erie, Pennyslvania
    Great! Thanks! I'm worried he'll be able to chew his way out and escape with certain crates, so thanks for the stories! He does chew a lot of things, which is why I'm worried. I'd definitely have to practice putting him in it before shows though.

6. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Decorating the crate is a GREAT idea! How artistic! My husband has an airbrush and I may have to do that! We have a cheap crate but Melli is super crate trained and cool being in there.

Question -- if you are alone at a show and go off to walk the course or do a run with another dog or such do you do anything to "lock" the crate? What stops someone from unzipping and taking or setting free the dog, whether it be spectators or PETA or sabatours?

In the cat show world you had to post a person full time at your cage unless you had a lockable cage. Just wondering for when I do rally and leave husband/Shay at home (since he made it clear he would not be attending with us) and I don't know anyone (yet). Maybe I should just drag my mom along.

7. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    I've never been in a place where I felt this was an issue. We've been in outdoor parks, in indoor soccer arenas, etc. But the competitors crate all in a group, and a random person walking up and letting a dog out to run would immediately be noticed. "Loose dog" is something that no one takes lightly.

I do, however, use a carabiner to clip the two zippers together since my naughty little dog has learned to use her paws to unzip the zipper.

8. Hurtseverywhere

Hurtseverywhere Forums Enthusiast

Sep 22, 2010
    London Ont
    I used to take colapsable crates to trials, but now I don't bother and just use X-pens exclusively, I take 2 because one dog doesn't like to bunk with the other 2 but I like the flexibility that they offer, if spacing is tight we can close them up to 2 ft by 4 ft, and if there is lot of room then we can open them both up to 4ft X4ft or into the octagon shape giving the dogs lot of room. our std setup is one at 4ft X 4ft and the other set a 2ft X 4ft. on a small area rug so they are not on wet ground or cold concrete ,they fit nice and flat in my trunk too.

9. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Birch eats his way out with surprising quickness. Jazz my JRT mix was quicker. My other dogs never touched the crate so not any issuesIf your dogs does not respect the crates and paws or chews at a regular crate, don't risk it.

10. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Sca would stick a paw out and sit in the crate with a big grin like he was getting away with something :lol: Spitfire is hard crate even though he thinks he needs to be in with Sca, he is a chewing machine if he thinks it is the thing to do :eek2: