Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Why did you get the color sheltie you have?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Justicemom, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Lightplum

Lightplum Forums Sage

Jan 4, 2009
    Rhode Island
    Growing up we had a sable, literally came home from the hospital and there was a sable there! :biggrin2: I do like the AOACs but in my heart there will only be sables...I know color shouldnt matter but I am always drawn back to them even when watching collies in the ring my eye is drawn to the sables! and than to the CHW

Attached Files:

2. rose

rose Forums Enthusiast

Nov 30, 2011
    washington
    my first sheltie was a bi black, then a pure sable, mahogany sable, tri, blue merle, I have had all colors.

3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Our first Sheltie was a sable and that's when I fell in love with the breed. We've also had a tri, Ivy, and blue, Bandit, both rescues and Sheltie angels now. Both were great dogs and I loved the markings on Bandit. But to me, Shelties are sable, and that's what I will always have.

4. Justme

Justme Forums Enthusiast

Nov 6, 2011
    Minneapolis, MN
    I wasn't looking for a particular color. It's just a coincidence that the World's Best Doggie came with a beautiful tri-color coat.

If I can ever have another Sheltie, I want a different color, for sentimental reasons.

5. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    where's the bi blue?:winkgrin:

6. melbell

melbell Forums Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2013
    Erie, Pennyslvania
    Well, all my life my parents have only ever had sables and that is it. It's their preferred color of shelties. When my friend who I've known forever (she's my neighbor's niece, also a vet and shows in agility, obedience and rally) got a wild tri girl puppy and told me she planned to breed her with her male blue merle, I wanted on the list. Three years later, and I got my first tri shetland sheepdog. However, I was suppose to get a blue Merle female as I like the patterns of the blue Merle and some are extremely pretty. My mom refers to them as throw up dogs though. :lol: When she had puppies, my fiance, my parents and I all went to look and play with the litter. I liked a blue Merle boy and my fiance liked the tri boy mainly because he looks just like his mommy. In the end, I really loved both of them, so since he loved the tri and his mommy is so pretty we went with the tri. Oh, and those throw up dogs out there, my mom ended up with a bi-blue sheltie a few months before we got our tri. :lol:

7. rose

rose Forums Enthusiast

Nov 30, 2011
    washington
    Sophie was my bi blue, and I forgot the CHW (Dolly)
    all the tri I had were boys, not planned that way, just happened. Shadow, Unk and Duke:smile2:

8. Sumac3890

Sumac3890 Forums Sage

Sep 12, 2008
    Fort Myers, Fl
    My first sheltie was a sable and when we got Maggie I wanted a different color so I would not compare them. We got a tri and my love affair began with tri's. Along came Katie another glorious tri. We lost her to cancer and then came Zak my first male and yes another tri. But when looking I kept looking for Katie's face with more brown and did not like all dark faces. I had even thought and looked at some sables but came home to Maggie and realized I really love tri's.

The breeder sent pics of the pups as the color was coming in and there they were all of these dark faces. Okay lets just go look at them..... well I fell in love with those dark faces. Our next one will be a tri or a bi-black.

9. Rileys mom

Rileys mom Forums Enthusiast

May 6, 2013
    MN
    The sheltie I had growing up was a mahogany sable female - Penny. When I began looking for another sheltie I was looking at males and AOACs because I was afraid I would compare the the new dog to Penny. The breeder I got Riley from had a tri male and a blue merle. I picked the blue merle.

One day I would enjoy having a bi black or blue.

10. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    When we lost our Lanie to kidney failure at 6, my father refused to get another dog. Then a few months later, he says "ok, I'm ready for a dog, but no blues, it's like your new wife looking just like your dead wife, and that's creepy". So he ended up with a bi-blue boy.