Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Black parents producing brown puppies

Discussion in 'Sheltie Colors' started by ashriver12, Nov 17, 2013.

1. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    And I want to know where it came from, hence the 3 generation pedigree :)

2. ashriver12

ashriver12 Forums Novice

Nov 17, 2013
    Virginia
    I have been informed about a gene/color called "Maltese blue". In some, the shelties present a slate color, and in others, they appear chocolate colored (not liver). Genetically, the dog is black, but physically, it looks sable.
    Rare. Nothing genetically wrong with the dog. Perfectly healthy, just brown instead of black. :confused2:

Thank you all for your feedback!

3. EJHUNTL

EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
  4. Tabitha

Tabitha Forums Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
  5. Mignarda

Mignarda Forums Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2013
    Dover, Delaware
    That sounds like the B locus.

6. celloyogi

celloyogi Forums Enthusiast

Mar 11, 2012
    southeast MI
    Unless my monitor is really off, I would say he's a blue merle. Gray, white, and tan - he just has more tan coloring than a lot of the blue merles I've seen. It's my understanding that sable merles only have some dilution of black to blueish coloring. Your pup appears to have a significant amount of blue/gray.

Clantyre, what say you?

7. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    I saw a Sheltie with similar coloring at an agility trial lately. The handler insisted it was a Blue Merle but the local breeders on site and I believed it was a Sable Merle.

I'm curious what some of the breeders on the forums think.

8. EJHUNTL

EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    The 2 bottom photos are misleading - he really was a "mocha" sort of colour with some grey as he got older. Everywhere I took him, people commented how unusual his colour was. My other sheltie, dallas was a blue merle. Unfortunately I didn't take great photos back then - but in this collage the top photo where my son Ryan ( now 25) is holding them both you can see how his top blended into the sable colour. It really wasn't grey, but more like a chocolate brown.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dq9jqfsrdwu1xdy/Blue 2.jpg

9. Lightplum

Lightplum Forums Sage

Jan 4, 2009
    Rhode Island
    They both are blue merles. They can have varying amounts of black overlay and shading.

10. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    Not quite. The "Maltese" is simply an overall dilution gene. We think it's the same as what makes black poodles "Blue" and dilutes brown Border Collies to "Lilac". It's recessive, obviously. There have been a few known ones, like CH Largo Meet Joe Black.