Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Collar slipping over head

Discussion in 'Clothing, Leashes & Collars' started by Simba13, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I don't keep collars on my dogs so when I get home, I take them off. They slip on and off over the head easily but when clipped to a leash the dog can't slip out of it. I love them for puppies because the nylon is very light and soft and doesn't hurt their necks. When we're away from home or at shows their collars stay on for the length of the trip with no problem so you can leave them on, but I wouldn't clip tags to it.

2. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    I like the collar Ann recommended. Like she said, I would only use it with the leash and not attach tags or anything. I've been lucky that Missy hasn't slipped a collar or even tried to back out. I can walk her in a regular collar without a problem. I have a martingale collar for her but we never use it. She doesn't seem to be interested in getting away from me. My first sheltie slipped collars all the time so she wore a choke chain when walking. Had we known about martingales back then, we definitely would have gotten one.

Curious.. what type of harness are you using? There are several different kinds, I think some are easier for dogs to slip out of than others. The one I use for flyball I think Missy could easily back out of if she was determined enough. She's gotten pretty close.. I usually have my hand under her belly so it's not a big deal. But there are probably other harnesses that she wouldn't be able to back out of, I just don't use them because they're more restrictive when she's running. She's about to graduate to a big girl flyball collar anyway.

3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    slipping collar

I unfortunately have had a problem with my sheltie slipping this type of collar! He slipped out of a chain collar too! He carries an enormous ruff. I have purchased a harness and he slipped out of that too! I tightened it to the point where I feel he will be uncomfortable. At least he did not slip out of that. I will try the martingale next.

When he slipped out of the chain collar I was devastated as he almost ran into traffic! I was able to get in front of him quickly and redirect him down a side street with less traffic! I only had him one year and he was totally scared!!!! He ran 5 blocks before we caught him! :gaah

Now his recall is much better, but I still feel as if the right circumstances happened he could bolt again... so I will try the martingale. I have him wear the harness and the chain collar if I take him anywhere.

I want to do therapy with him as he has the sweetest temperament and loves attention. Not sure if they will allow a martingale collar when testing.

4. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Many dogs can do Houdini routines in harnesses. Problem with them is that are difficult to fit properly. Though I do use one currently on Callan is is also 4 months old. I find it handy in the car or anytime I think I need to grab him fast...like on my boat dock. And yes, I use it for walking as well though I just discovered Bacca's old martingale fits him.

Personally, I prefer a martingale...preferably rolled leather. If proper fit, which is easy to do, it hangs loose around the neck when not attached to a leash but once on lead as soon as they pull, it tightens...not to choke...but enough to not slip off. Similar to Ann's collar, but you can leave it on with tags....though NEVER in a crate or xpen!

5. bkzoo

bkzoo Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    I am planning on getting Baker a rolled leather one when he is done growing. I just wish there was someplace locally that I could buy it. I'm a little worried about getting the absolute correct size ordering on-line.

6. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Yes, I am going for the martingale once little Cubby's neck won't snap! Unfortunately Melli's is purple and the little one I had when Shay was a pup I gave to a shelter when he outgrew it.

I like the ones that snap because I don't like adjusting them. Now if I could find the rolled ones in person and try them til I get the right fit, I would be happy. Maybe a vendor at a show someday!

7. Simba13

Simba13 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 25, 2014
    Dublin
    I've never seen these harnesses before! are they the same as choke chains? I do a lot of activities with my dogs such as obedience with my collie (which simba will start in about 10 months) and obedience, choke chains are not permitted at either.

8. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

You can easily get flat adjustable martingales in nylon. Probably good enough until pup reaches full size.

By 10-12 months, dog should have full neck size. Only think that will change is the fur which has no bearing on a martingale. Because you fit to neck size.

9. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    They are the same as choke chains which unfortunately is a misnomer, since they aren't chains. But yes, they're similar in that they tighten when the dog pulls on the leash, same as a martingale does. They're just lighter and easier on the dog's neck IMO.

10. Simba13

Simba13 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 25, 2014
    Dublin
    I had a look at soft harnesses on amazon and just ordered one! Thanks for the suggestion.