Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Why did you get the color sheltie you have?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Justicemom, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    I was getting a red male Doberman. Yes I was even on a waiting list. I ended up with a sable Sheltie. :smile2: things happen when you don't expect them.

Diva was a unforseen addition too(remember I thought I didn't like black shelties). But she chose me again.

Only Birch did I actually say I am going to get another sheltie in the near future. I wanted a blue boy. I was thinking Bi blue(there were 2 in the litter) I took the blue merle, whatever close enough. :smile2:

Oh and I am with Sheep the blue eyes thing creeps me out.(notice either of my Merles have any blue in their eyes) I am getting more use to it.

2. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Nope makes the skin crawl on the back of my neck (likely my slightly OCD nature). Cran pulls it off because it is just part of his lopsided look that comes out as a smile. NO BLUE EYES :hide

3. Toffee's Mom

Toffee's Mom Forums Sage

Aug 31, 2009
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    LOL
    what about a quarter of a blue eye?

4. Toffee's Mom

Toffee's Mom Forums Sage

Aug 31, 2009
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Colour chose me

Funny thing about colour and not being used to other colours... I remember thinking Spruce's litter was a little ugly well as far as Shelties go, LOLLLL Back then I wasn't used to the colour, and as mentioned I also didn't get the pink nose patch or the blue eyes! Then all of a sudden few months later I look again and loved how Birch and Spruce were turning out...How could I ever thought they weren't as cute as sable puppies? lol So the rest is history, Spruce became available and I just KNEW he was the guy for me, despite his having been an ugly pup, LOLLL. SO ironic cuz people stop me on the street all the time to tell me what a looker he is, lol... That never happens with Mr Toffee?
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151288750755885&l=ec587a6c94

I love the breed, loved the breeder's philosophy and dog's working ability and now I love Spruce with all my heart AND bi blues :D

As a matter of fact you all may know Toffee was my first Sheltie and my break-up dog, just got out of a long term relationship with lots of heartbreak, the guy didn't even want to have a dog, lol, so I shoulda known! :D So first thing I did after leaving was saying screw it, I am getting a dog! So Toffee was bought from a hobby breeder and I learned better after educating myself, lol

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  5. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Never seen one so it is hard to say. I have to be able to win the stare down :lol: Spitfire is hard enough as he jumps on my lap and does his best innocent Spitfire how are you buddy (usually right before launching onto Sca)

6. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Creeps me out why do you think I didn't take him.:wink2::lol:

7. Sheltie4

Sheltie4 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2013
    Kansas City
    Some interesting comments on why we prefer the coat (and eye) color that we do. By volunterring as a foster home, I get to enjoy all coat colors (at least for awhile, until they find their homes).

What do you think of this? My vet has discouraged me from adopting a Blue Merle - she feels they have more health issues.

My own Shelties are Sable/White and Sable Merle/White.

8. Tabitha

Tabitha Forums Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    No offense, but I don't think your vet knows about shelties.:wink2:

9. Katagaria

Katagaria Forums Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2012
    Ireland
    We were just set on getting the one sheltie, my bf's mom ended up being the one to choose who we got because he was the first one she picked up, she just took to him and I did too. My bf was actually set on having Jet, but we didn't really get to know the little fella because he quickly went to sleep when we arrived! He has stayed very true to that behaviour, he is such a floppy/sleepy dog compared to his brother.

My little blue merle only has a spec of blue in the corner of one of his eyes, one of his litter mates had the whole one blue one brown thing going. I personally think it's beautiful, I love it myself.

10. JLSOhio51

JLSOhio51 Forums Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2013
    Ohio
    In light of the fact that Bi Blue and Blue Merle are (right now) at the top of my list of potential choices, it would be interesting to know why the vet took this position. If he/she had some scientifically based reasons for this opinion, it would give me something to think/research/study about. If it is only his/her opinion, it would give me reason to question my choice of vet. Does anyone know why the vet would say this?