Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Traveling without dogs, tips/advise

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by JessicaR, Jul 17, 2014.

1. JessicaR

JessicaR Forums Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2008
    Tiffin Ohio
    The week of July 28th my hubs is going on a business trip to Alabama, his boss said I can come with him! So that leaves the 4 shelties at home with my 18 year old son. I am trying to make sure I have everything I could possibly think of ready and prepared to make this trip easier on everyone.

The dogs are used to being crated at night and if we go away on the weekend for more than 2 hours, but my son works from 9-5 all week. I am home during the day so the dogs are used to being out during the day.

I can gate off the kitchen area for them so they are not crated all day long.

I have emergency vet number wrote down plus the amount of food each dog gets. Anything else I should do?

2. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Detailed instruction list for routine care.

Specific instructions for any dog including supplements or meds.

Prepare food for each in plastic baggies or those cheapie tupperwares labeled with each name, date, and time of feeding.

Have all dogs collared (can be breakaway) and tagged.

Include a list of IF you see THIS call vet ASAP and THEN call us versus the typical call us with questions.

Print out a picture of each dog and include name, color/description, special markings, chip #, vet #, meds or specific needs, etc. on the back of each. Should there be an incident there is an instant photo/data to circulate and/or contact vets & shelters with.

Hate to be the doom and gloom but there are so few instructions for the happy moments. Feed, potty, play, crate.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  3. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Worry... oh wait you will have that covered :lol: I bet your son will do wonderful and loves them as much as you do so relax and enjoy the trip. Depending on the area I might be able to recommend some things to see if not Calliesmom likely can as we have the top and bottom covered, the middle you are on your own :biggrin2:

4. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    yes- was wondering where in AL you'll be.....

looks like Mom2Mellii has covered everything that I can think of:yes:

5. JessicaR

Sep 8, 2008
    Tiffin Ohio
    my son says I worry too much and they will be fine :lol:
    I will be sure to follow those tips M2M

My hubs will be working in Cottondale, but he is setting the hotel room up in Tuscaloosa since there isn't much in Cottondale. The only down side to the trip is I will be without a vehicle while hubs works, I am not authorized to drive the company car. So I have either stay at the hotel or hopefully I will be within walking distance of some shopping areas until hubs gets out of work.

I know hubs says I have to eat at Jim N Nicks BBQ, other than that we will probably be doing lots of sight seeing. Of course since it is a 10 hour drive we probably wont be doing much that first day :lol:

6. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    Tuscaloosa is out of my range- can't help you out there:no:

7. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Yep smack in the middle of no Sheltie land :lol: well OK not on here a lot at least.

The only things I know that are somewhat close are in B'ham. They have the old foundries (never been there) and just east Barber Motorsports Park which has a motorcycle museum that is one of the best in the world (might be nothing for y'all)

Probably further than you want to drive but Little River Canyon just above Fort Payne is very scenic and even better after a rain (the falls run harder). North in Huntsville we have the Space and Rocket Center. As a side watch on the way down and the welcome center has a Saturn V which is cool. Oh and be ready for hot and humid (though we have been cool the last couple of summers)

If you are into unusual check RoadSide America dot com for some nearby stuff.

Give the pups extra pets on the way out from me.

8. Tagg

Tagg Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Brantford, On
    I always have a knowledgeable mature adult on call when I have left the horses in our stable girl's care. (My 38 year old daughter takes care of the small animals and knows as much, if not more than I do.) It makes her feel more secure knowing that if she thinks something is not right, she has a second set of eyes available before calling the vet. Lucky me, that person is my blacksmith and friend who just happens to live close by. I also call both my small animal vet and my large animal vet and let them know how long I will be away and to allow charges to my accounts. In large letters on the feed board and in the instructions there is a message "IF IN DOUBT, CALL THEM OUT"

9. JessicaR

Sep 8, 2008
    Tiffin Ohio
    Tagg, my father in law and my mom will always be available for him to call, and if he has a question or problem with the dogs, he can also call our trainer/4H advisor who lives just down the road from us.

So no sheltie land drat :lol: Oh well I am sure we will be busy sight seeing, my hubs has been down twice before on jobs and says Alabama is a nice place, people was always friendly to him.

I figure it will probably be hotter than here in Ohio, but we have had some hot temps before, although right now I am loving the weather its been upper 60's lower 70's this week.

10. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    yes- the last few days have been nice- lower humidity than normal but that will change this weekend with the return of the standard summer forecast- hot and humid with chance of afternoon thunderstorms:winkgrin: