Go Back   Sheltie Forums > Sheltie Talk > Puppies 101
Become a Premium Member Rules Support Sheltie Nation Member Map

Notices

View First Unread View First Unread  
Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:39 PM

Default Too soon to socialize?

Hey everyone,
The time has come and I am picking up my 6 month old Sheltie puppy from his breeder this Friday. He will be my herding, obedience and agility prospect. My current Sheltie also competes in agility, but I acquired her when she was already 5 years old so this will be my first time with a baby. It so happens that I have an agility trial to attend this Saturday. Do you think it would be too soon to take the pup along for the socialization and interaction? Looking for opinions. I want him to get used to working and meeting people out and about ASAP but should I let him stay home and settle for a while first?
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:51 PM

picked Destin up on a Friday- he was 3 months.
took him home, then to vet, then to friend's house where we stayed for the weekend while 4 yr old Dixie competed at an agility trial. Destin got to go to the trial too for socialization while the other two boys stayed behind at the friend's place.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonieB View Post
Hey everyone,
The time has come and I am picking up my 6 month old Sheltie puppy from his breeder this Friday. He will be my herding, obedience and agility prospect. My current Sheltie also competes in agility, but I acquired her when she was already 5 years old so this will be my first time with a baby. It so happens that I have an agility trial to attend this Saturday. Do you think it would be too soon to take the pup along for the socialization and interaction? Looking for opinions. I want him to get used to working and meeting people out and about ASAP but should I let him stay home and settle for a while first?
It's never too early to socialize as long as shots are current. Take him to Lowes, Petsmart, obedience matches, etc.!
Dad to "Fletcher" (Belmark Oreos And Cream)whelped 30 Aug 2013 sire Belmark Own The Podium dam Belmark Lip Service and "Tripp" (Belmark Kellcrest Tripwire) GCH Jesstar Nirvana x Felicity Jamaican Me Crazy
Old Apr 21, 2014, 01:58 PM

6 months old is plenty old enough to socialize, especially if they're current on vaccinations. Just make sure he is enjoying himself and not too overwhelmed. Make sure you have a crate so he can have a place to escape. I've never been to an agility trial, but if it's anything like a flyball tournament.. having crate to relax in is key.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 04:59 PM

I'm with the others--I think it's fine. Just make sure as the others have said that he's able to get some alone time if he wants it. I also would make sure to take the time with just him--not just your pup who is competing. Take the new one outside alone, walks, etc.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess041 View Post
6 months old is plenty old enough to socialize, especially if they're current on vaccinations. Just make sure he is enjoying himself and not too overwhelmed. Make sure you have a crate so he can have a place to escape. I've never been to an agility trial, but if it's anything like a flyball tournament.. having crate to relax in is key.
nowhere near as crazy or loud as flyball.....................
Old Apr 21, 2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess041 View Post
An agility trial makes a morgue seem perky if you are comparing with a flyball tournament Very quiet with a lone barking sheltie on course at times. Though I seem to recall some orgs have a no puppy rule but I cannot recall which ones.

Oh and Spitfire who reacts to everything went to flyball at 6 months old and just power slept in his kennel.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepOfBlue View Post
An agility trial makes a morgue seem perky if you are comparing with a flyball tournament Very quiet with a lone barking sheltie on course at times. Though I seem to recall some orgs have a no puppy rule but I cannot recall which ones.

Oh and Spitfire who reacts to everything went to flyball at 6 months old and just power slept in his kennel.
I think only AKC has rules about puppies on site- used to be 6 months old but since they started 4-6 month puppy class in conformation, it's 4 months now......
Old Apr 21, 2014, 07:34 PM

We picked Shelby up at 13 weeks of age, and 2 weeks later we took her camping with us for a week. I don't think it is too soon. The sooner the better.