Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Recipe for Sweet Potato chews

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by karol, Aug 23, 2010.

1. suristo

suristo Forums Enthusiast

Feb 7, 2011
    Kentucky
    My friend who has a pit and another dog dehydrates sweet potatoes on a regular basis and her dogs LOVE them. Monet will take a piece or two and urn off, but Rosie wants nothing to do with it, lol. i am super excited to make some of these chews though! :)

2. Tagg

Tagg Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Brantford, On
    Did a batch last night. I gave Tinsel one of the ones that was still a bit soft in the middle and it took no time at all for him to devour it. Thanks for sending the instructions. He couldn't eat the harder ones - had a lot of extractions before he came to me. I'm sure that Rhiannon and Phoebe will be thrilled to get one today.

3. roxyllsk

roxyllsk Forums Enthusiast

Apr 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    Just finished making these - the boys LOVE them ! Thanks for sharing ! I feel better knowing what's in these treats, and that they're from my kitchen and not China LOL !

4. GChiu

GChiu Forums Enthusiast

Thanks so much for the recipe. I'm going to make these as soon as I can. Indie loves the store bought ones.

5. karol

karol Forums Regular

Jun 26, 2010
    Rochester NY
    New Twist on Sweet Potato Chews

I've been making these now for a couple of years, I've made a change to it for the summer as it looks like it is going to be a hot one here in upstate NY.

Instead of slicing them lengthwise I cut them across into circular discs, then bake them just until they start to change color (not brown)... then let them cool, they are soft vs. hard and chewy. I then put them in a container with wax paper between layers and freeze. They make a nice cool treat on a hot day.

The softer version also makes for a great Kong toy stuffer as it is soft enough to push against the inside of the Kong toy. It keeps her busy for a good while longer.

~enjoy...Karol & Sadie

6. mlamont

mlamont Forums Enthusiast

Oct 7, 2010
    PA
    Love this idea! Frozen taters on a hot summer day.

7. LadyMcBeth

LadyMcBeth Forums Enthusiast

Oct 30, 2010
    San Marcos TX
    I have always been cutting discs....made more sense to me....but this idea of freezing them is great! I will try them next batch!

8. mlamont

mlamont Forums Enthusiast

Oct 7, 2010
    PA
    I've also always cut the thin discs too. The treats are little smaller portions, plus my pups are all card carrying members of SWW…. That is… ‘Sheltie Weight Watchers’!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  9. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    I have thought of cooking the sweet potato, then freezing in spoonfuls to add to the food as well, or else stuffing it into the kong and freezing them.

10. mmcginty

mmcginty Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2011
    I just made another batch of these this morning, my doggies love them! I'm not that great with a knife so the thickness of my slices varies some. The thin ones come out hard but I almost think my dogs like them better that way. It gives them something to gnaw on.

btw does anyone know what the benefit is of baking them on parchament paper? I just put them on my non-stick cookie tray and they seem to be fine.

My mom has a dehydrater I was thinking about giving that a try. I could make a whole lot more at once with it, and in theory they wouldn't need to be refrigerated.