Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Skin funk...allergies or infection?

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by take4roll10, Aug 5, 2013.

1. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Bacca's started like that.

You don't really need to worry much though unless the undercoat is coming out too in patches. If it does....then go to the vet immediately.

If it's dandruff/allegry.....I highly recommend Nizoral. Human grade shampoo, anti-fungal. Buy at the pharmacy in the dandruff section. My vet recommended it for Bacca and it was a miracle.!

2. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    Her undercoat is not coming out. I would've definitely taken her to the vet if it did.

Gave her a bath last night. I deeply massaged the shampoo into the areas that had the brownish specks. Her skin looked a lot better after her bath. Most of the specks were gone. Still had a few specks and tiny white flakes after her bath, but it's definitely much better than before and looked even better this morning.

I still feel dumb for waiting so long. :uhoh: In my defense, she has gone this long without a bath before (3-4 mons) without any skin issues, she doesn't smell and my tiny yard is all brick, so she's not running around in dirt. However, I will make sure this doesn't happen again.

I was thinking about putting a little coconut oil on her skin that has flakes. I'm also going to start adding coconut oil to her food again. I stopped doing that.

3. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Either coconut or Salmon oil. Both are good!

4. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    I gave her a bath again this weekend, so a little less than 2 months since her previous bath. Her skin looked so much better!!! Just a couple of brown specs left over, but nothing like a few months ago. She still does have a little dandruff though. Maybe my house is too dry.

I will try to stick to a every two months bath routine. Bailey will not be pleased.