Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Tags and collars

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Cooper'sMama, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Cooper'sMama

Cooper'sMama Forums Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2013
    Americus, Ga
    What kind Of collar does your sheltie wear? Also, what all tags do they wear?

2. cookieP

cookieP Forums Regular

Jan 28, 2014
    Spartanburg, SC
    Cookie does not wear a collar unless he is going to work with me, going to a therapy visit, or if I am dropping him off to stay with my mom or my grandparents. I don't like how it pushes his fluff down and figure he doesn't really need it just hanging in the house with me. The collar he has is a quick release though…the kind that snaps and doesn't buckle like a belt. When we are walking, he wears an easy walk harness, although he does not really need it anymore it was very helpful when he was a puppy and now he's just used to it.

As for tags, on his collar is a name tag with phone number, a 24hr Pet Watch microchip tag, his rabies tag, and his "I am a Therapy Dog" heart shaped tag from TD Inc. He also has a name tag with number on his easy walk harness just in case.

3. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Missy doesn't wear a collar unless we're leaving the house, with the exception of Flyball tournaments (don't want any extra drag :wink2:). She has a Lupine collar, which I really like. Lupine products have a lifetime gurantee, "even if chewed" and it's really held up well. I don't recommend the solid colored collars because it dyed Missy's white neck pink! They have new Eco collars that look good, but I'm wary of the dying process. The patterned collars do not bleed, as they are dyed before being woven.

She wears two tags- one is her AKC CAR (now AKC Reunite) tag in stainless steel, and the other is a pink enable bone shape I got from Petco. It's starting to fade so I will probably replace soon. I'm looking at Mad Dog Metalworks as a replacement https://www.etsy.com/shop/MadDogMetal. I also use a Rubit tag clip so I can transfer tags easily from one collar (or harness) to the other.

If Missy wasn't such a wild child who goes in water, I would definitely get her a braided kangaroo leather collar, but I don't want to risk it getting ruined.

Also, she's microchipped. So 2 IDs plus a microchip.. I'm hoping if she ever gets lost (deity forbid), it's really easy for someone to locate me.

4. Cooper'sMama

Aug 7, 2013
    Americus, Ga
    Right now I'm using choke chains. I really like them, because my dogs try to slip out and the fact that you can barely seem them. What do y'all think of the very thin show chains? My dogs are only on an actual leash maybe twice a month. I put their collars on when we go to the farm and run and play. Or when they go to work with me.

As for tags, they have a decorative tag with my name and number, and their rabies tag, which has my vets number that leads back to me. I haven't thought of putting their AKC stainless steel tags on their collars. That would be a bit much. They are Also micro chipped.

I attach their tags to the part of the choke chain that you don't attach the leash to

5. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Shay has a rolled leather collar. Melli has a 3/8" wide blinged out rhinestone collar. They are specifically to hang tags on because they walk on harness or martingale. The pup will have a breakaway at first and then we will graduate likely to a rolled leather collar as I like how nicely they lay in the coat.

Now tags - my ultimate FAVORITE tag is Dog Tag Art company. They are baked porcelain on metal and you can choose any of their million designs or upload your own cutom pic or graphic. I love them SO much I have two that hang back to back with the county license in the middle. That way whichever way they swing -- art! One tag is traditional info. The other is the microchip info. The brass county license is in between hidden. They have glow in the dark tag protectors/silencers which are cool too. These tags are "lifetime" and they will replace. Only thing I found damaged them was puppy teeth when Shay was a little guy. I will be ordering a small and a large for Cubby this week. Small for his puppy phase and then larger for when he grows up. When I have him chipped I will get the other one for him too. LOVE this company. I love that their tags are absolutely gorgeous pictures or graphics.

Shay has 2 views of the Shay locomotive he is named after -- it's a working tourist train by Yosemite Nat. Park. Melody has 2 different views of a rose with sheet music (Melody Rose). Quasar had a rainbow with a little saying. Mayson had "Hi My name Is Mayson". After Quasar passed I wore his for quite a while on a chain.

Love love love these tags.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  6. Cooper'sMama

Aug 7, 2013
    Americus, Ga
    Dogtagart.com is where I ordered all of my guys tags at. I love them!!

What is a county tag?

7. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Koko wears blue and Fillion red--the University of Arizona colors:cool:. They both have Barkcode.com tags on them.

8. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Some State Counties require pet owners to register their pets with the county. Then you are usually given tags for the registration that pets must wear at all times.

9. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Indy wears a 1/4 inch braided martingale collar, 24 x 7. After him doing a few Houdini's out the back gate, I make sure he is always collared.

Callan is only collared on walks, but he is also not ever unsupervised in the backyeard. As soon as I can trust him further to be outside on his own, he will be collared as well, assuming that he is also no longer crated either. Currently I have him in a harness. He will be wearing the same collar as Indy as soon as he is big enough. And then the harness will be replaced with a martingale as well.m

I used to have my dogs collared all the time, but they were in soft sided crates so there was nothing for the collars to catch on to.

If you are using a metal crate, I would suggest removing collarsl

10. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    My two oldest have a rolled leather collar. Natalie has a thin cloth collar that the breeder sent her to me with. Each of the dogs have a tag that say I am loved, etc. Natalie's is a heart with a purple stone and her name - her breeder bought her this. They also have their town license and their rabies tag. The two girls' rabies tag are set up to be scanned by a smart phone and also are registered with SOSlostpets. This links to their microchip number, my info and also my vets info. I have gotten in the habit of leaving the collars on all the time, as they are never crated now. I just block off the bedrooms and let them have the run of the rest of the house (it is a small house only 1000 sq ft).