Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Why did you get the color sheltie you have?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Justicemom, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    We had this discussion at work about colors of dogs and cats and peoples biases against certain colors. For example, black dogs and cats are adopted really slowly from shelters. Brindle is becoming the new black.

I have owned almost every color of animal there is. Black(solid, bi and tri), white, copper red, orange, sable, blue merle(bi and tri). I have only acquired one animal because of its color and that was Ember. In shelties, I do prefer Blues and in order-bi- blue , blue merle, Tri , Bi black, sable and sable merle then the CHW. I do admit I will likely never own anything but a blue or black sheltie again. But I never say never. :smile2:

I guess color is pretty far down on the list for me in choosing a dog but I know for some it is very important(some people looking for puppies go gaga over certain markings ie a split face or a blaze). Don't get me wrong I know what appeals to me and what I like but I look for more.

So my question for the sake of a fun discussion is why do you have the color shelties you have? When you were looking for a dog did you have any biases or preferences?(I used to really dislike plain faced bi blacks which is really funny to me now) Did you chose the color or did the color chose you?

2. susanmccain

susanmccain Forums Enthusiast

Jan 27, 2013
    London, Ohio
    My first two Shelties were sables. I fell in love with blue merles the first time I saw one. When I bought Sir Dash I specifically went to buy a blue. His litter had 3 merles and 3 sables so I did have a choice of the blue puppies. He was the most loving of the 2 males. I feel like I made the right choice. He is a real cuddlie, loving, pretty little guy. Why do I like the blue merles? The only answer I would have is that they are different..but I didn't realize how many comments I would I would get regard to his coloring.

What will the next one be? Who knows...I love them all.

3. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    I got two Blue Merles because I love the way they look.... ooops I got a tri that looks likes a bi-black because I could not find a Blue Merle that looked like from a good breeder (read not a mill) and everything else was wonderful (Sca). And a Sable (Spitfire) due to a lot of reasons. Of course Sca already made me realize color is the least important thing. Then Spitfire made me realize how atypical Sca is for a Sheltie :lol:

4. kagzigian

kagzigian Forums Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2011
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    When I went to get my first puppy the breeder had two remaining pups (they were 6 weeks) - a sable boy and a tri boy. I was so sure that I would want the sable - I grew up with a sable collie and to say that he was my heart dog is an understatement.

Well the sable boy was so not interested in me or any other human. The breeder put the tri in my arms and there was immediate eye contact - we played for a good hour. Waiting for Logan to turn 8 weeks so I could bring him home was the longest 2 weeks.

When it was time to get Logan a sister I told the breeder all I was interested in was personality. So one tri, one red sable, and one sable merle :smile2:

The picture of Logan (6 weeks) and me was taken about 2 minutes after the breeder put him in my arms.

Attached Files:

5. Mignarda

Mignarda Forums Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2013
    Dover, Delaware
    The breeder had only one Sheltie left from the last litter, and the price was knocked down. That didn't matter, because we would have paid twice the going rate for Dickens. He happened to be a sable, but anything in the Sheltie line would have done. Our recently-deceased dog was half Sheltie and we liked some of the qualities we saw in him.

6. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    When I lost my sable, Hamish, I really wanted another colour of Sheltie, just to help ease the pain. I found a breeder with a couple of blue merle pups. When I lost Noah, I really wanted a girl, colour wasn't important. My thinking was that I had lost two boys, did I really want to lose another one? Emma was a singleton and sable. It was love at first look at her picture. Liam and Natalie - they were given to me by the breeder. Wouldn't trade. After seeing Ember, I really want a bi-blue but colour is not that important - it is the personality that counts with me.

7. Tabitha

Tabitha Forums Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    My first three shleties were all sable. When it came time to getting another sheltie I wanted a blue merle boy (I was going to name him Murle Haggerd:winkgrin:). But I ended up with another sable, Jody. Next I had every intention of getting a color other than sable. I didn't want a black with a blank face and wanted one with the biggest blaze I could find (especially if it was bi black). I didn't want a blue that had a lot of black markings on it, Shelli's Ember was what I considered 'ideal'. But I got ANOTHER sable, Dixie. When I was getting my next dog I just gave up on color and got Ida, a sable. After joining SN I saw that the blotchy black and blue shelties were just as beautiful as the light colored ones, and that I was mesmerized my that all black face of the bi's without blazes as well as the tri's.

If I can help it my next dog WILL NOT be a sable. I love sables, I love ham sandwiches too. But if I eat a ham sandwich for lunch every day for many many years I'm very likely to get tired of them.:wink2: And that's what happend, I've been eating ham all my life, now I want PB&J or turky. Yes, Texans use a lot of metaphors.:rolleyes2:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  8. mellie

mellie Forums Enthusiast

May 18, 2011
    East Coast
    Well, I' ve told this story before. I was wanting a dog really bad- I work at a veterinary hospital and had opportunities for getting a dog all the time. DH made a smarty pants remark about the only way we are getting a dog is 1. It's a sheltie 2. it's a female and 3. it's free. Well, it wasn't but 3 weeks later that a client came in with a sheltie puppy she had rescued from Craig's list and she met DH's requirements so there was NO doubt, she was going home with me!!! She is a mahogany sable and has raccoon like eye markings. We think she is gorgeous but her personality is what we really love about her. I couldn't have created a better dog for us.
    Truth be told I really like blue merle coloring.. My Grandmother bred collies and I so I have loved this color as long as I can remember. Maybe someday I will have a blue sheltie or collie...dunno
    The dogs of my past were not picked based on color either, so I don't pick by color. I gave them homes because they needed them at a time when I could give them a home and I thought they would be a good fit for me and my family.

9. dblock

dblock Forums Enthusiast

Mar 28, 2011
    philadelphia
    Re: Color

I'm not sure why there is a color bias, but, truth be told I'm not afraid of black dogs AT ALL. I am afraid of White Dogs, especially when their eyes have a pink looking color to them. (I think Cujo)

When I picked Beau( I should say when he chose me) it was mostly because of his size. I live in an apartment and we are not allowed to have big dogs. And again truth be told I did not want a big dog because being a small person, I didn't think I could handle a large rambunctious dog. It would not be fun for either the dog or myself.

When I when to the Shelter that day, I saw only three smaller size dogs. One being a beagle, and since I had a pure bred beagle when I was younger I didn't think it would be appropriate, and the second being a Jack Russell. I took the Jack Russell out for a walk and he was to hyper for me. (Not good for a person who has problems with panic and Anxiety. Then I saw my Beau, laying quietly in his crate with two big dogs on either side of him. People stopped by his crate area called him and he ignored their calls. I didn't even have to prompt him because he came right up to me. I took him out for a walk and when I brought him back he placed his paw in my hand and that was a done deal I said,"Bodacious, your coming home with mamma" We've had a love affair ever since. I didn't care what color his was.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  10. MissyGallant

MissyGallant Forums Enthusiast

Dec 20, 2011
    Bonnie and Duncan were sables. They belonged to my mom. They decided to make puppies. They had three sables. First puppy and bonded when he was three days old. Brodie was a sable.

Casey came with my husband. Casey is Sable.

We lost Brodie nine days before our wedding. We were not getting another dog before the wedding. We waited until the day after. :biggrin2: We used our honeymoon money putting Brodie to sleep. We got a certain amount for the wedding. We saw an ad in the paper for shelties for just that amount. It was a SIGN! I wanted a tri that didn't look anything like Brodie. There were three females. One that was golden sable with a diamond on her head. She was adorable, and when I grabbed her, she wiggled out of my arms and left the room. Not my puppy. The little tri girl was sweet, but not interested in me. The little mahogany sable with the blaze just like Brodie wanted on my lap, gave kisses freely, wagged her tail, and is now name Annabelle.

Annabelle and Casey had a litter. I said I wanted to keep the one that was a tri- IF she had one. That is why we have Clara. The people who bought Tara couldn't keep her, we took her back. She is a sable.

And we have Bonnie- as previously stated- a sable. She is with us because I love her, and took her from my mom. And Mom gets to come visit her.