Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Getting and keeping your sheltie at a healthy weight

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Sheltie.Mama, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    No treats and exercise, that's how I keep my dogs trim. Manufactured treats are really high in calories. If you need treats for training try cooking up a chicken breast and cut it into tiny, tiny pieces.

2. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    I still have to laugh. All my other dogs it's like "here's what you get, eat it, don't whine". Melody, horrifically violent with fangs and nails. That is the only reason why she is on a "diet" low calorie food for now. More bites so she doesn't kill us all However, as she gets used to the amount and the routine will be going back to our regular TOTW an slightly reducing the amount (hoping for the best).

My rule is choose a quality food and figure out what amount produces the right weight for that dog and stick with it. Melody is just an exception due to whatever her previous owners did/accepted from her.

3. Mignarda

Mignarda Forums Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2013
    Dover, Delaware
    Dry it in a food dehydrator and it will keep for a long time; plus it's easier to handle. Big pieces for snacks; smaller pieces for training. The bigger pieces help to clean the teeth because they have to be chewed.