Go Back   Sheltie Forums > Health > Drugs & Medications
Become a Premium Member Rules Support Sheltie Nation Member Map

Notices

View First Unread View First Unread  
Old Aug 20, 2014, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trini gilmore View Post
In all honesty if your vet doesn't feel you need to have it done, I wouldn't do it. He would tell you to do it if he felt it was necessary. The south just doesn't have the Lyme problem that we do in the northeast.

Trini
The veterinary profession, much to its credit, has cut WAY back on vaccinations. We are probably giving 20% of the vaccinations we gave 15-10 years ago, in sharp contrast to the human medical profession, which is up now to, I believe , 26 vaccinations, all required by law so the physician is off the hook.
We have cut back in two ways - 1) extended vaccine protocols, and 2) the concept of core vaccines and optionals. No one made us. The changes were made because the profession as a whole felt it was the right thing to do. And, yes, incomes have been negatively affected.
When it comes to the optionals (Bordatella, Lyme, influenza) its not a dollars and sense thing, as in 'I love my dog, I don't care, give her everything', but rather a matter of risk vs reward, and what is in the best interest of the pet.
The Lyme vaccine is not the most effective, and does (perhaps, I have to be careful here) seem to run the risk of more reactions than most vaccinations.

So, if you are not in a Lyme area ( basically the Northeast and the western side of the Great Lakes), and your veterinarian suggests that they would not advise it, simply thank them.
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 21, 2014, 07:55 AM

Wow, I need to move. My dog's annual costs at least $300-$400. I do a physical exam, urinalysis, fecal, snap test (Lyme, heartworm, etc.), and blood work. Rabies and parvo, distemper, etc every 3 years.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper'sMama View Post
I don't think I'm going to do bordetella anymore. I can't quite explain my reason in words... I'm just not. But lepto is a must! Even when I discontinue dhlpp, I will still get a lepto booster every year or so
Our area just had what seems to have been a pretty significant kennel cough outbreak. The dog park I think still has warnings up for people with dogs unvaccinated for it. We had a German short-hair in our first training class that couldn't come for the first 3-4 weeks because he had caught it. His owners showed up some video of him coughing. I don't know how effective the Bordetella vaccine is, but I was glad he gets it.

I'm pretty sure our vet since the beginning has said no need for lepto. We talked about Lyme and even though we are in NY, she didn't seem to think the benefits would be enough to recommend it.

I think she mentioned something about administering one of them (distemper maybe- I'm not sure what a lot of the abbreviations are) until they are 5 and stopping after that and doing only the state mandated rabies (and the Bordetella because we do board him, though very, very rarely).

I think our normal annual visit is in the neighborhood of $150.