Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Need some DW feedback

Discussion in 'Agility' started by k9kreationz, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Sharon

Sharon Forums Sage

Feb 27, 2008
    Southeastern Ct
    DW

Personally, I still think you rushed him and that is JMO.Good Luck with it.

2. k9kreationz

k9kreationz Forums Celebrity

Oct 24, 2008
    I wanted to say. I think I shouldn't have used the word "creeping". I have seen creeping dogs and I don't think that's Koji. He's slowing down on the down part, but just stops short. I'm fine with his DW otherwise.

Here's a good example: http://youtu.be/VGx8FeW2LME
    (At 10 seconds)

I did release him, so that's bad on my part (stupid handler/trainer), that's why you see that bounce.

I am definitely going to incorporate the target plate. I didn't want to, but I can see how beneficial it will be. Let's hope it just clicks like it did for Trax. :)

3. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    This is EXACTLY how we trained the contacts with Lexi. The only difference is that a bit later in the training we added in a second target to keep her driving fast and moving forward.

4. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Yes, I agree. I meant to say this in my first post but forgot! If I let Lexi get away with missing the criteria, she'd outsmart me and push farther and farther until we had no criteria at all. Bentley thinks and works differently, and becomes unmotivated if he doesn't get it right after a few tries.

5. Sharon

Sharon Forums Sage

Feb 27, 2008
    Southeastern Ct
    Dogwalk

He is creeping towards the end but not that bad.His up contact is nice and he was running and then broke into a fast trot and his weaves were very nice.

6. Sealtainn

Sealtainn Forums Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2011
    california
    I agree that Koji's contact at the end of the dw was *not* anything to get worked up about. Yes he moved quicker on the upramp than down -- for stopped contacts that is typical. His stride changes while on the middle plank -- also not uncommon for stopped contact dogs.
    He is slowing significantly on the down ramp, but it looks to me like he is *trying* to do what he thinks you have trained him to do: it appears that he is looking for the end of the ramp, & if he has a 4o the teeter, well is it really an issue if he is consistent on the dw - you say you released him: looking at this video his "bounce" off is immediately after you took a single step (accel forward motion) but then *you* decel'd by stopping momentarily.
    I suspect if instead you continued motion forward without the pause after the single step then Koji would have more confidently driven forward.

So, just looking at this single instance I say Koji's contact work was not bad at all & he was responding to your (intentional or not) cue appropriately.

7. ortegah

ortegah Forums Enthusiast

Oct 18, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    Glad to hear I did something right! It's not often that I hear that from people! LOL!

8. ortegah

Oct 18, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    Trax ain't all that, I guarantee you. He's a great dog, but at the end of the day he's only as good as his handler ;)

The target though made all the difference in the world. I really think it helped him "get it" and taught him that I can't always be there and when I'm not he still has to do his job.

9. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Hey, I didn't say it was "right" :lol:

10. ortegah

Oct 18, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    Heh, good point :lol: