Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Sleeping with both eye's open!

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by Tabitha, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Tabitha

Tabitha Forums Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    Ok, sometimes F-kap really freaks me out. He sometimes sleeps with his eye's open and his tong hanging out, and thanks to his eye's being a bit foggy from age anyway they also look glazed! It's even scarier when he's in a deep sleep because he only takes a breath every few seconds (seems like minutes) and if you blink you miss it. Then on top of that he's loosing his hearing, so while I'm sitting on the edge of a panic attack, holding back tears, and saying his name over and over he can't even hear me! I don't care how many times he does it, my heart almost stops every time! That boy is gonna to be the death of me yet!:eek2:

Does anyone else's dog do this?! Sometimes his eye's are just cracked open and other times they'er fully open.

2. MissieLynn

MissieLynn Forums Enthusiast

Jun 14, 2013
    Oklahoma
    I've never seen a dog do that! That must be scary! :eek2:

Reminds me of Gandalf in the Return of the King movie. Freaky!

3. Sheltiemama

Sheltiemama Forums Enthusiast

Feb 15, 2012
    Indiana
    Yes! My 14 yr old, Casey, sometimes sleeps with his eyes open. And he is nearly deaf. And he breaths ever so slowly when he's sleeping. I know EXACTLY how you feel. We do a lot of looking hard at his side to see if it's moving.

4. jomuir

jomuir Forums Enthusiast

May 10, 2011
    Our old English pointer Callie used to sleep so deeply in her old age, we'd watch for her chest to move every now & then just to make sure she was still with us! Thank goodness she kept her eyes closed, that would freak me out too :eek2:

5. sable

sable Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2008
    Lucky will be 13 in June. I know what you mean about the breathing, I check him out too, especially since his heart is not up to par.

He sleeps with his eyes shut though.

6. Tabitha

Tabitha Forums Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    I'm noticing a pattern here! Either our seniors enjoy scaring (as my mother would say) the pee waddling doo out of us, or we'er just very observant of them BECAUSE they'er seniors. Either way they know how to get their mommy's and daddy's blood pressure up!:rolleyes2:

7. melbell

melbell Forums Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2013
    Erie, Pennyslvania
    I shake Honey awake pretty often in her sleep. Poor girl... it's probably why she loves to sleep during the day time because at night i poke her :eek: but like you, I can barely tell she's breathing. Sometimes I'll just lay my arm on her ribs and wait for it :lol:

8. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    My 3-year-old shepherd sleeps with eyes partially to totally open. Worse when he is "looking around" because of REM dreaming. I usually wake it up because it bothers me.

9. JessicaR

JessicaR Forums Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2008
    Tiffin Ohio
    :lol: Pepper used to do that too! Her eyes would be partway open and she would breath real slow and of course her being deaf would mean that I would have to get up and poke her. I think she thought it was funny to scare me like that.

Rabbits like to do the same thing. On the rabbit forum I am a part of there is a thread called "Dead Rabbit Pictures" and its all about how rabbits like to trick you into thinking their dead! When a rabbit is real relaxed and comfortable with you, they will sleep stretched out on their side instead of their usual upright position, and talk about slow breathing!! They got dogs beat on that. I had a rabbit that was in such a deep sleep that she didn't move when I poked her, so I had to pick her up thinking she died, just to have her give me a look like how dare you disturb my nap! :lol:

10. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Hollie used to do the same thing. It would gross me out to see her sleeping with her eyes open and her tongue sticking out. As she got old we would always be watching to make sure she was still breathing. Once she lost her hearing we couldn't touch her when she was sleeping, it would startle her too much and she would react with a quick snap. So we would gently blow in her face to wake her.