Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Finding a GOOD home for an older dog

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Fasb's Owner, May 9, 2014.

1. Fasb's Owner

Fasb's Owner Forums Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2013
    Morgantown, WV
    My wife was told last night that one of our neighbors is considering putting their dog down, or dropping it off at the shelter. They don't want to do that. They love the dog. But, for various reasons, they feel they can't care for the dog properly.

They've been trying to find her a good home without success. They've had a few people show interest in adopting the dog, but changed their minds after meeting the people - fearing the prospective adoptees wouldn't offer a good home. Apparently, the adoption search has been going on for awhile and they're getting desperate.

Sasha is a sweet dog. I really don't want to see her end up in a pound. She's about Fasb's age (he'll be 12 later this year) with some ongoing health problems. Health seems decent enough, so she probably has some good years left.

I suspect adoption through the usual channels would be tricky for an older dog. They've tried placing ads, but were alarmed by some of the respondents attitudes. They've got pretty high standards. Sasha is a spoiled indoor dog. Well cared for, so far as I know.

I know nothing about adoption. Is there any resource they could check out to maybe find the kind of home they want for Sasha. They asked my wife and I for advice, but we don't know enough about adoption options to help. I understand their dilemma. I have some concerns about being able to take proper care of Fasb the next few years, but, at his age and health, finding someone I'd approve of to take him in would be difficult.

Thanks.

2. EJHUNTL

EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    If it's just that they can't physically care for their pet - perhaps they could offer to adopt it out with a committment to keep paying for her vet care & food. That could easily be arranged by setting up an account with a local vet who will bill them for food & meds instead of the new owners. Older dogs often cost more and that can be a barrier to adoption. Reallly they've had Sasha for 12 years so they are the ones who should provide at least financially for remaining years even if they can't meether other needs at this stage.

3. Sheltie4

Sheltie4 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2013
    Kansas City
    Why are they giving up their dog after 12 years? That is heartbreaking.

Do NOT let them surrender the dog to a city shelter/pound. Shelties do miserably in a loud shelter. Unfortunately, most city pounds are full and consequently, will put an old dog down.

I don't know what part of the country you are in, but there are breed specific Sheltie/Collie Rescues across the country who might be able to help. Some, like Kansas City Sheltie Rescue and Second Chance in St. Louis, have senior dog adoption programs.

If the dog has severe health issues, the rescue might not have the resources to assist, but I would certainly steer them in that direction first.

Both www.ASSA.org and www.nationalsheltierescue.org list the Sheltie Rescues by state.

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  4. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    What breed is the dog? I am assuming it is not a sheltie because it is in the general dog chat section.

5. JacqueZ

JacqueZ Forums Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    When my sister had to get rid of her older dog (he had aggression issues and they had young kids they were worried about getting bit) I called around to about 15 or so private rescues before we found someone willing to take him.

I got the list of private rescues from a nearby shelter, the lady had at any given time about ten dogs on hand she was trying to get adopted out. It was a situation where my sisters dog lived in a cage, but he got worked with everyday and retrained and within six months was adopted out to an older gentleman.

I would imagine if your neighbors could get a list like that for your area they would have an easier time both finding a rescue to take her and getting her adopted out, as you haven't mentioned any issues with aggression, which was the big factor in finding someone to take my sisters dog.

6. Tagg

Tagg Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Brantford, On
    I can't speak for the rescues in your area but I do know that our rescue does take older dogs - as long as they do not bite.

7. Fasb's Owner

Fasb's Owner Forums Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2013
    Morgantown, WV
    No sure exactly, but, from what I understand, it's a combination of their health, the dog's health, and affording the dog. They are concerned they can't afford Sasha's medical care. They're also concerned that Sasha will be too warm in their home this summer.

For the moment, I think they've convinced themselves to try to keep her. Family members have offered to help with the cost and neighbors (incl. us) have offered to drive them to vet appts and what-not. We'll see how it goes. They seem to take very good care of her. I doubt she'd be better off being separated even if they did find her a good home.