Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Walkies? How far, for how long?

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by 2GoodDogs, Aug 26, 2014.

1. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    Justus and I enjoy walking, we put in 3-5 miles daily. Up until last week. We are both wanting to get out for a good stretch, and will, but baby puppy Flyer won't be asked to do that.

I'm looking at borrowing a pet stroller to take him with us. :)

There is a wonderful meadow, will make nice background for photos...

How much walking can I allow a 10 week old puppy? I'm thinking 10-15 minutes max.... is that okay?

2. Judyg

Judyg Premium Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Riverside, Ca.
    I would like to know this as well. Ron takes our Eskie for about 4 miles daily. Lacey is not ready to do any where near that. She can't go out yet anyways until she has her last shot, unless I put her in a doggie stroller and I don't have one, and don't know where I could borrow one either.

3. 2GoodDogs

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    A friend has geriatric pugs and she will loan hers to me, until he reaches 20 lbs. They have some at Petco, less than $100... but he's going to grow out of that 20 lb. limit real soon... just like Lacey!

Flyer goes along to agility class tonight, but if he can't be quiet in the crate, we will leave. He's not going to go nose to nose with anybody, risk is always there, but very, very low. All dogs at the agility center have copies of shot records on file...

4. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    I think it depends on the puppy, some puppies have enough energy and stamina to go for a lot longer than others. Is it possible for you to walk in a short loop around a block or something? So you can evaluate how tired he's getting and you won't end up having to carry him if you end up going too far?

5. 2GoodDogs

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    Good idea, I'll find an office park and give him a little trial run, opps, I mean walk there. :D

6. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Puppy treadmill? Oh if I only had the money and space...

7. bkzoo

bkzoo Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    We have a treadmill in the basement for our dogs. Toby loves it! Once, when Trace was on it and I was walking briskly on the "human" one next to him, Toby came up to face me & decided to jump on with me! I barely got out of his way as he flew right off the back of it. Good thing he didn't get hurt because I was laughing so hard! :lol:

The treadmill was a give-away from a co-worker because the incline option didn't work any more. Great way to exercise the boys in crappy weather. Like I said, Toby loves it, Trace just tolerated it. He would walk along, occasionally looking up at me wondering why we were bothering with all this walking if we weren't going to get anywhere...

It will be a while before little Baker tries it out.

8. Judyg

Judyg Premium Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Riverside, Ca.
    We need to work on leash training before we can go for a walk anyways, and it's too hot out here!

9. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    It is a half mile to my parents house. When Sca was 12-18 weeks or so he could walk over. And half way back then I had to carry him. Plus there was a scary German Shepherd that we had to be carried past. After a bit he got over the GS and then to large to carry. So walks stopped until he was older :lol:

Spitfire was 6 months when I got him and always able to go wherever.

10. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    At 9/10 weeks, Fillion was walking 800 yards (400 down and 400 back--one golf hole) 3 times a day. He probably could have gone farther, but that was convenient for me. I remember when I got Koko, he couldn't do a mile with us he was so out of shape LOL but Fillion was doing 2 miles per walk at that time easy--at around 16 weeks. In fact if I didn't walk him twice a day and drain all that puppy energy I was in for a long night. :eek2: