Go Back   Sheltie Forums > Health > General Health
Become a Premium Member Rules Support Sheltie Nation Member Map

Notices

View First Unread View First Unread  
Old Jul 9, 2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watson's Mom View Post
A cream of some sort.... that might be a good thing for me to ask about tomorrow. I forget about half the things I mean to ask every time we have an appointment.... he looks like he needs a good moisturizing! He can only reach the one wound with his back foot, but he seems to be trying more often now... I can't blame him... I can only remember having a cast after surgery and how badly my leg itched as the incision healed but not being able to get to it.. I bet some of them I will be able to put a cream on.

We had zoomies tonight and the look on his face was fabulous as he tried playing keep away with a stuffed duck and the cats.
I have to write all my questions down. I did that when I took my dog to the vet for her annual exam in April. I was sure the vet tech thought I was nuts, but she said she was glad I was asking questions. I've also done this for doctors appointments for myself. Write your questions down (or type them in your phone) as you come up with them, then try to remember to ask them when you go to the vet next.

I'm glad to hear Mr. Watson is up to his normal antics. Were the cats even trying to take his duck? Missy just likes to play bitey feet with one of my cats.
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess041 View Post

I'm glad to hear Mr. Watson is up to his normal antics. Were the cats even trying to take his duck? Missy just likes to play bitey feet with one of my cats.
Buddy Thomas my youngest will definitely take his duck away from him and run around with it! Petey is medium haired so Watson tries to goad him into play by pulling his hair... periodically coming away with a small mouthful.

I'm definitely going to start writing down all of my questions. I will ask about some of the things that you all have found beneficial to see if any would work in our situation. This is the first (hopefully last) time I've ever had to deal with such a large scale medical situation with him. He can be an "eater" so we get to do the fun vomiting and diarrhea routine occasionally but that's old hat compared to this.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 12:11 PM

Our vet recommended Resi-soothe for Honey when her skin gets itchy.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=25264

Once I put it on her her scratching calms down for several hours, and any dryness or irritation on her skin clears up quickly. We've had a 8 oz bottle for almost a year now. It doesn't have much of an odor, once it's absorbed it has no residue. We got it when Honey had open spots from scratching and biting to much, so theoretically it's safe to use near wounds, although I would still ask a vet first.

So glad Watson is healing up well!
Old Jul 9, 2014, 06:17 PM

Our vet's recommendation is coconut oil... more bang for my buck.. good for his dry skin and should also help his joints since he does have mild hip dysplasia (no arthritis) and apparently some minor instability in his knee... and I've already found a recent thread on coconut oil..
. Anyone out there trolling the forums.... consider joining- so many great people and lots of information!
Old Jul 9, 2014, 06:25 PM

If you have a Trader Joe's near you, they sell organic coconut oil. That's what I use for my dog.

Did your vet say to use it orally, topically or both? I do both. My dog gets half a teaspoon once a day. And I apply it to her skin a few hours before she gets a bath.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 06:45 PM

She said orally... I don't think he gets bathed enough to bother with topically. I honestly never bathe him unless he's had diarrhea. He is as fastidious as a cat!
Old Jul 9, 2014, 07:47 PM

If you can find it, Vetricyn Wound Care is amazing! It really does work.
Bacca - My Eeyore (Rainbow Bridge Feb 2014)
Old Jul 9, 2014, 10:56 PM

What about coconut oil? Good inside and out. Glad to hear that he is doing wo well after that ordeal. Can't wait to hear what his vet says.
Maggie and Katie- always in our hearts.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac3890 View Post
What about coconut oil? Good inside and out. Glad to hear that he is doing wo well after that ordeal. Can't wait to hear what his vet says.
Coconut oil by mouth. We started with it this morning, and he loves it! No need to melt and mix with his food! I use a small bit on some of his scars when I massage them, but since he is rarely bathed, I don't think I'll slather it on him.... he'd be like a greased pig running through my house!