Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Bitsy Boodle's Summer Cut

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by Chris, May 1, 2013.

1. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    By request from Tabitha, here's Bitsy's summer clip. Normally I would never clip a Sheltie. But Bitsy really suffers from the heat, so last year we tried it. What a life difference it made for her! And her coat grew back just as lush as before.

Disclaimer: My groomer is Irina Phillips, wife of Lee Phillips of Vibrant Pets. She's an award winning master groomer, simply brilliant. We decided to leave the leg feathers long and use scissors only -- no clippers anywhere.

Attached Files:

2. Tabitha

Tabitha Forums Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    Thanks Chris! I can't wait to get my boys clipped! Jody is still young and his fur isn't quite as thick as F-kap's or your Bitsy's. But he still gets really hot because it's 6" long in some places, just not quite as full yet. Thanks again for the pics, I'll get them printed out to show to the groomer this summer!:hugs
    Tabs

3. tofu pup

tofu pup Moderator

Aug 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I have to say... as much as I don't think I'd ever want to trim a Sheltie all over... if I ever had to, I would do it exactly like this. Bitsy Boodle looks so cute - like a teddy bear! And I know she felt much better with it, too.

Thanks for posting these photos, Chris! Other warm-climate Shelties will surely benefit.

4. biowicks

biowicks Forums Enthusiast

Mar 7, 2012
    Michigan
    Bitsy Boodle looks sooooo plushy! She has an amazing coat. Beautiful trim. I've never had to do that, but if I did, I want a cut just like hers!

5. sable

sable Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2008
    Bits cut is really beautiful. I am half tempted to do that on Lil' Lady, I haven't built up the courage yet, I quess because I am afraid of what the groomers would do.

Your fortunate to have a great groomer. Bits looks great.

6. JacqueZ

JacqueZ Forums Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    Thanks for posting,I've been debating doing honey's butt this summer. She isn't overly bothered by the heat, mainly we walk in the woods, but she's very sensitive on her back left flank, and it would make it much easier to brush out when she's blowing her coat. It's reassuring to hear it'll grow right back if I do!

If honey was anywhere near as fluffy as that I'd do the full clip in a second. Bitsy is adorable!!

7. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Did you have no issues with her coat growing back?

I can see this girl has super thick undercoat, so I think I can understand why you would consider it.

But from my experience, just having groomers being over aggressive on the butts of my dogs, caused the fur to never grow back again properly.

That being said, I'm considering shaving Bacca down so that I can deal with his skin condition better. But I'm so afraid it will never grow back properly.

8. mbfrench

mbfrench Forums Celebrity

Aug 2, 2009
    South Carolina
    I just love her!

9. mbfrench

mbfrench Forums Celebrity

Aug 2, 2009
    South Carolina
    Isn't it though! Its just an awesome cut.

10. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    I had no issue because there was no shaving. It was all scissor work.