Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

How does your dog let you know?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Jess041, Mar 14, 2014.

1. cookieP

cookieP Forums Regular

Jan 28, 2014
    Spartanburg, SC
    Cookie just goes out the dog door, as does the cat.

2. Byrdiebun

Byrdiebun Forums Novice

Apr 18, 2011
    Idaho
    I did it ever so briefly, and I think that's probably why 7 years later Bun Bun is still jumping frantically at the front door when she has to go. I can't remember why I had them on that door but I know we did. The dog forgets nothing!

3. Sullivan

Sullivan Forums Enthusiast

May 29, 2013
    Florida
    My apartment only has one door, but I have an aluminum bi-fold door that "hides" my air conditioner and water heater units. I hang my Angel Bambi's leash on that and if I was on the computer or not paying attention, she would walk over and tap the leash, making the metal clip "dink" on the aluminum and then stand and stare at me. This was a self taught method for attention, as someone else said earlier, our Shelties are so smart.

4. Mignarda

Mignarda Forums Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2013
    Dover, Delaware
    It took Dickens about a week. The first times he did it we had to be nearby because he just barely touched it, but once he knew it would get him out he started doing it more vigorously. And every time he thought he was in trouble he'd run to the door and start ringing it in regular desperation!

5. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Shelby learned the bells very quickly. Within a few days. We originally used them because she didn't know how to tell us.

Then like everyone else she learned to just ring them all the time just because she wanted to be outside. That became very annoying. It is easier to ignore her whining when I know she doesn't have to go as opposed to ignoring the bells.

6. Laddie's Mom

Laddie's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2013
    N/A
    Bella doesn't say anything or go to the door, I have to watch for signs, Laddie, on the other hand, will give this desperate cry and sort of moves back and forth, he goes immediately when he is let out.

7. MissyGallant

MissyGallant Forums Enthusiast

Dec 20, 2011
    The stand between the living room and dining room and stare us down, trying to hypnotize us into doing their will and getting up to let them out.