Go Back   Sheltie Forums > Health > Sheltie Training
Become a Premium Member Rules Support Sheltie Nation Member Map

Notices

View First Unread View First Unread  
Old Jan 30, 2014, 05:14 PM

Exclamation Leash training?

I have been trying to leash train my new Sheltie puppy but it is very hard. She will not walk! She just fights and pulls back on the leash! How can I make it so she doesn't pull and walks with me?
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2014, 05:38 PM

It takes a bit of time for them to get used to a leash. Just trained another puppy to do it last month, and what I do is put a treat in the hand holding the leash, hold it to my belly, and grab the leash with the other hand to control the dog. The treat usually keeps them moving, and if they start pulling, stop walking until they settle down, and restart.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheltie.Mama View Post
I have been trying to leash train my new Sheltie puppy but it is very hard. She will not walk! She just fights and pulls back on the leash! How can I make it so she doesn't pull and walks with me?
Dickens did the same thing, but in the end I think it made him walk on leash much better when he finally caught on, since he had no natural inclination to pull. Just get a bunch of really nice treats and use them to lead him with you while you're holding the leash. It takes much patience.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 05:57 PM

If the pup freezes or rolls around on ground or rears up, put on a lightweight leash and leave it laying on the ground and call the puppy with a treat or squeaky toy. Let her drag the leash. That is about how you train anything to not fear a lead (foal, llama, goat, puppy, etc.).

One the pup is comfortable pulling it around, then pick it up and let the pup walk around with you just following and holding the leash. Just wander around the house on leash.

Then start with a treat in the hand and having the pup walk next to you getting treats for neither falling behind or rushing ahead but rather walking next to you. Praise for even a few steps trotting along right next to you and give treats! That is the basis for loose leash walking and eventual heeling.

Don't expect a lot of a 9 week old puppy! Remember, it is a baby barely able to think beyond eat, sleep, and some playing. Trainings should be like 10 minutes.

Remember, this should ONLY be in the house or in your yard. Puppy doesn not have all shots and so cannot be walking around the neighborhood or going to other peoples' houses!
Aussies at the Bridge - Quasar (blue merle), Holly (black tri), & Mayson (red tri)
Old Jan 30, 2014, 07:27 PM

We used peanut butter on a wooden spoon. Let the puppy take a lick and then hold it up and walk giving lots of praise. Every so often put the spoon down for a lick.
HiMark's Dandelion Angel CGC NAJ (Dandie)
Old Jan 30, 2014, 07:55 PM

That spoon is a great idea! Saves the bending over! Would be great teaching little ones beginning heeling.
Aussies at the Bridge - Quasar (blue merle), Holly (black tri), & Mayson (red tri)
Old Jan 30, 2014, 08:14 PM

We used the peanut butter too. Worked really well. Now I always have treats in my pocket when we walk and she knows it. So she usually walks nice expecting a treat.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Melli View Post

Remember, this should ONLY be in the house or in your yard. Puppy doesn not have all shots and so cannot be walking around the neighborhood or going to other peoples' houses!
Good point, Parvovirus is a big risk until the series is complete, and can quickly kill a pup....
Old Jan 30, 2014, 09:46 PM

When I had my puppy Shay I didn't realize how absolutely horrific the parvo risk was. My vet scared me pale and gave me a real earful. We had a friend who lost a puppy to parvo and then over a year later they got another pup who got it and survived at over $1000 in vet bills. It's very important.

You should take little ones to the vet in crate, don't let them touch the ground, and put them on a towel on the table too. I got a GOOD education on parvo.

Visitors to your house should also remove shoes and wash hands thoroughly maybe even using hand sanitizer too!

With the fact that this winter has not been wet or cold out in the Western US -- the parvo risk is high even though it is winter.

Better safe than sorry.