Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Oy.....

Discussion in 'Getting Started in Conformation' started by ellenspn, Jul 29, 2014.

1. ellenspn

ellenspn Forums Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2014
    Swamps of NE Illinois
    My breeder is offering me an 18 month old male that is already show trained.

My brain is now on overdrive....what to do....

2. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    If he fits your plans do it! I would love to "skip ahead" to 18 months but oh, we are still a little one and trying not to pee on the couch or ourselves.

3. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    Isn't that fantastic, to be offered a show quality, show ready dog!!! How exciting! Do what is best for you, and enjoy the compliment of the offer!

4. ellenspn

Jul 6, 2014
    Swamps of NE Illinois
    My local friends and husband are against it. They are very concerned about his socialization and temperament. I'm a performance person at heart and if all he can do is conformation then I'm not the right home. He's currently living with a friend of the breeder. Plus the fact I have 5 other dogs and Ribbon and Shiloh need a lot more training.

Still waiting to hear from the breeder about the details. The suspense is killing me.:gaah

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  5. Tagg

Tagg Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Brantford, On
    Dogs that are show ready should be very well socialized. After all, a judge walks up and lays hands everywhere on that dog without benefit of giving it a moment to decide whether it wants to be touched.
    Having good confirmation means it is physically capable of performance events.
    It needs to be able to be in a crowded venue with lots of other people and dogs. That is something it might be lacking in and therefore is being placed in a pet home. Ask.
    Most of the Belgian people I know, Belgians being a cautious breed by nature, and many of the westie people have titles at both ends of the dog's name.
    Vets love show trained dogs. Easy to work on without getting a muzzle out. I have had more vets express their desire for more dogs to be as comfortable with handling as mine are.
    Ask yourself if your dogs will accept an adult coming in.
    Is there conditions that the breeder wishes to impose that you are uncomfortable with. If so, then walk away.

6. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Yes they are supposed to be socialized to show in conformation. However, unfortunately in shelties socialized enough for conformation does always translate into socialized enough or having the proper temperment for performance.

My friend and I finished a CH who we got at 6 months. He was quite reserved and unsure when we got him and with hard work we were able to get him ready to show. He showed well, never put a foot out of place. He was a nice enough dog that he finish just after his 2nd birthday( all owner handled). However, he was totally unsuited for agility or obedience or any other type of performance event. We no longer have him and he lives with someone who appeciates what he has to offer the breed.

I have seen enough Shelties unfortunately, which they will trot around on a lead, stand stock still and allow judges to touch them and show well but are totally unsuited for performance. I am sorry performance socialization is so much more intense and you need to teach that dog to use its brain and not to be afraid to use its brain in any situation. Heck a lot conformation people don't even want to teach the dog to sit because they are afraid it will use its brain. Not saying that this 18 months old is not going to be suitable. But if doing performance is a huge priorty and a must, I would met the dog in person and work with it a bit before making any decisions.

7. ellenspn

Jul 6, 2014
    Swamps of NE Illinois
    The Silence Is Deafening

She hasn't answered my questions and I think she's wanting me to convince her that I am willing to show him to his AKC championship.

:gaah I want to, that is certainly my goal. I have a handler I can use as long as I do the show grooming and I need to learn how to do that. :yes:

I think if Danny wasn't so ill I would be pushier. I'm sure that this whole situation is entertaining to an outsider :pop

I keep emailing her about other things, but I really want to talk about the puppy. I'm sure she's annoyed at me about now. :uhoh:

8. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    To echo some of what Dr. Shelli said about conformation dogs not necessarily being good performance dogs, CJ was A LOT of hard work!

CJ was a cconfirmation dog before being placed with us at 3 years old. She didn't know sit nor did she know how to think. She still doesn't really like situations where she has to think. Training her for agility, rally and treibball is still a challenge but she's much improved. We still have moments where she basically goes, "I'm done, not playing any more."

That's our experience with a confirmation dog turned performance dog. Your experiences may differ.

9. ellenspn

Jul 6, 2014
    Swamps of NE Illinois
    It may be moot

There may not be any decision to make. Someone else has first dibs on him.

10. Bradt9881

Bradt9881 Forums Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2014
    Fayetteville, NC
    Fletcher is a bit of a soft dog in the show ring, but is happy as a pig in a mud hole when herding....

Attached Files: