Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Sick puppy: Coccidia

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by mom2b, Jul 16, 2014.

1. mom2b

mom2b Forums Regular

May 17, 2014
    North Carolina
    I have a very uncomfortable situation going on right now.

Kali's breeder (whom is also a DVM) gave her to me on Sunday. She also gave me some medicine called Albon saying "I have a bacteria called Coccidia in my backyard, it was already there when I moved in, so the puppies have diarrhea. Give this (the albon pills) to her every morning). I was so in love and distracted it didnt really set in the fact that she was giving me a essentially sick puppy.

Her diarrhea is really bad and it even causes her some discomfort. We've had a couple of accident indoors right after she #2 outside because she just can't hold it in (I'm sure everyone here has been victim to uncontrollable diarrhea once).

So the next day after getting her I text her saying that it was really bad and she replied saying to give her 2 pills instead; it didn't work. So I text her again telling her this and she says "give her one pill tomorrow and if it doesn't get better let me know and I will give you some anti diarrhea medicine for her" (this was yesterday).

So today she pooped outside once and when we got inside she pooped really bad 2 more time (i even had to wash her behind). So I texted her saying it had not gotten better and she replies telling me to drop by her vet office to get the medicine.

When I get there she tells me to wait until they fill up the prescription and then says she has to leave to run an errand. All this while I am thinking that she will be covering the costs of the medicine since she KNEW the puppy had Coccidia and had diarrhea when she gave her to me.

An hour later of waiting I am called to pick up the medicines and SURPRISE! It's 97 dollars!

I am speechless, came as a total surprise. But I stay silent and pay then leave. While in the car I start fuming, I just dropped a hefty amount on a puppy that was picked up from her breeder's home three days ago with a sickness being treated by said breeder and NOW I have to shell out almost a 100 for additional treatment to the illness she got at the breeder's home?! I don't mind paying for veterinary care but the puppy came to me sick!

What should I do? I am in the wrong? If so, what should I tell the breeder? I want to be tactful since she will be my puppy's vet and I want a good relationship with her but I find all this absolutely unfair!

2. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Since the puppy was already having diarrhea when you picked her up and the breeder was fully aware of the coccidia, the breeder should be paying the medication cost. Had Kali come to you healthy and then gotten sick, that would be different...but the breeder knew she was handing you a pup with coccidia. The truth is that she should have held onto the pup until she was well before sending her to a new home.

I don't blame you for fuming...I would be too...very disappointing behavior on the part of the breeder/vet. And, frankly in this situation, I would be finding another vet!

Trini

3. mom2b

mom2b Forums Regular

May 17, 2014
    North Carolina
    That's exactly what I thought! if the puppy had gotten sick in my care then I would be fine, but this is not the case.

I was thinking of texting her something like "got the medicine and it was an unexpected expense so soon after getting her" is this tactful enough?

4. Mally's Mom

Mally's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Oct 18, 2009
    Illinois
    You do not have to keep her for Kali's vet.

I, too, would be looking for another vet!

Keeping little Kali in my prayers.

Do keep us updated on how she is doing. Thank you.

5. mom2b

mom2b Forums Regular

May 17, 2014
    North Carolina
    Got a message back saying "I'm sorry, let me know if you need me to help you out with that. She didn't have diarrhea at my home or I would have sent her with medication"

I am just amazed. How do you give me medicine for coccidia when I picked her up and now say she didn't have diarrhea there? she's a vet! she knows coccidia symptons include diarrhea. I think she's just trying to blame it on me now.

Our contract says puppy has to be checked by a vet within five days (moot pint since breeder IS their vet). But it has not been five days yet so even her "not in my home" excuse is moot -.-

I am extremely dissappointed. I am not a billinaire by any definition and I decided to save and get a puppy from a "reputable breeder" to guarantee its health. Really sad.

6. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    I'm going to take a different approach. Coccidia is fairly common, easily spread, and easy to remedy. It's not as if the puppy had parvo. While I agree that she should have held onto the puppy longer if she was aware he had coccidia, I'm not sure I believe she should pay the vet bills.

Puppies pick things up all the time. Bacteria and worms can lie dormant, and crop up at anytime. Part of being a puppy owner is being prepared for the unexpected cost.

7. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    I'm suprised a breeder/vet would send a puppy home with it full blown knowing stress would make the situation worse and potentially be dangerous for the puppy plus infect your property (try a dilute bleach solution to the dog area -- can't hurt!)

My advice is YES fume. But, rght now look after your pup. Get to a vet ASAP -- a different one -- clean the pup up and keep her hydrated (Pedialyte etc). Preserve the breeder relationship in case there is something major that comes up. Just sort of cut losses and go to a vet. As mad as you are are (and are right to be), no good is going to come of ticking her off. Go to another vet and keep documentation of absolutely everything in writing and even video form.

I am commiserating because my Cubby came with shots given at the wrong time and not just round worms but a SEVEN INCH roundworm -- meaning never wormed. I am just cleaning him up, getting his shots on track, and focusing on the pup. I know one SHOULD expect a lot from a breeder but it's not always the case. I am sorry you have had a blemish on a special experience. Find a new vet since this lady can't be bothered. Sometimes, though, it is not worth the fight.

8. Watson's Mom

Watson's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2012
    I would have her checked by your vet... tomorrow if possible and then at the very least, you are upholding your end of the contract. I agree she should cover the meds.

She may have given the Albon to try to cut things off. I got a cat from the shelter last August... no sign of diarrhea... two days later SURPRISE!! Gross... I think stress can cause the symptoms of coccidia to flare- for him- new home with two new cats and a dog. For Kali- puppy in a new home.

But, I think you have every right to be upset and to also expect her to be doing more with covering the meds.

9. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    I would take her back to the breeder/vet tomorrow and give the lady a chance to make things right. It wouldn't bode well for her as a vet or a breeder not to do right by you. You have a contract, and obviously any other vet would tell you to take the puppy back...
    While I'm not sure why she would send any puppy home when sick, perhaps Kali hadn't had the runs yet at her house. Regardless the puppy now has meds starting her on the way to wellness. Her msg sounded like she was willing to work it out. Just my 5 cents worth...

10. mom2b

mom2b Forums Regular

May 17, 2014
    North Carolina
    She told me when I picked her up that she had diarrhea and that was what the Albon was for. I also remember a couple weeks ago when I visited and saw one of the puppies with it but I didn't know then about the bacteria in the backyard.

It is also a very distinctive form of diarrhea; it's not only liquid, it's also very foamy, yellow and has mucus on it (sorry for the tmi, lol). Coccidia might not be parvo but diarrhea is a common symptom that can be lethal if not properly treated. It also takes well over two weeks for it to get to this point so there is no way she didn't know.

I have had the puppy for just 3 days and notified her since the moment I saw the situation and have been dutifully following instructions. I am very well aware of having to be prepared for unexpected expenses but this was an illness acquired with her. I paid my bill and have the treatment but it doesn't change the fact that I was given a sick puppy (however common and easy to transmit the bacteria is) and I paid for the breeder's carelessness.