Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

excessive panting

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by KarenW, May 8, 2014.

1. KarenW

KarenW Forums Regular

Jan 17, 2014
    Il
    Prancer is constantly panting. He is now about 6 months We don't even have to be playing...His coat is just starting to come in n I can't imagine it's because he's hot it's not tht hot yet. He drinks alot. Seems to me...is this normal....I think I'm more worried because I lost my last sheltie to kidney disease.but age 11. Any ideas shld I be concerned?

2. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Just to make sure, I'd suggest going to the vet and get him checked for a heart murmer.

3. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Thorough vet check . . .

My ginormous Aussie was a panter and a water guzzler. He was the one in the leg twitch thread but that is unrelated. Not hot, not overworked, not stressed, just panted constantly and loudly all seasons. IF the vet says there is nothing wrong on physical and blood work, just observe. Relaxed panting vs distressed panting you will get a feeling for by other body clues.

But have the vet check everything.

4. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

The vet and I just had this conversation about Indy. He is a major panter and therefore drinks tons of water. And drools! Ick!

Physically no problems, so I agree making sure is a good idea.

Indy pants if he's hot, if he's been running, but mostly he pants h
    If he is slightest excited or anxious, it starts. Good or bad. He even pants while waiting for his supper

It's annoying, but I don't worry anymore.

5. PatC

PatC Forums Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2012
    P
    I agree that the vet check is a good idea, but just fyi, one of mine is a huge panter. HUGE. Like when I first got him (as an adult) I wasn't sure I could stand having this noise in my house. I checked with his extremely well-respected breeder who said "some of them do that. I think his grandfather did. We call them huffers." Eventually, as he settled into his new home, it got much better and was no longer so constant or so loud...but it doesn't take much to make it come back, although usually not for too long. I had him thoroughly checked at the time; all is well. He just pants.

6. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    Get him checked out, you will feel better. Cody was a panter too. We did all the tests, all came back clean, so we stopped worrying about it. We also lost Cody at 11 to kidney disease. Bringing home our new Sheltie pup next week.:smile2: I will always have this terrible disease in the back of my mind.....

7. famous seamus

famous seamus Forums Enthusiast

Feb 19, 2011
    new jersey
    Yeah, after going through such a nasty business like kidney disease it stays with you, in the back of your mind. Let it guide you instead of taking over everyday concerns. You have the information and that is a positive for all your new babies to come. Post pix please of the new doggie.

Best,
    Kate