Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Food for a shelter dog?

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by melbell, Mar 23, 2014.

1. melbell

melbell Forums Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2013
    Erie, Pennyslvania
    My friend is fostering (two week period before he decides if he wants to adopt) a border collie/ husky/ mix. We tried everything yesterday to get him to eat, with no luck. We got him Taste of the Wild salmon, spits it out. We tried treats, bread, pizza crust, rice, etc, nothing. Eventually later on in the night we tried the treats route again. He seemed to like the really smelly stuff (Blue Buffalo salmon soft squares, puporoni, blue buffalo apple and lamb, blue buffalo bacon health bars) but would continue to spit dog food out. He also denied Blue buffalo blueberry and yoghurt health bars and blue buffalo lamb dog food. So to me, it seems like he prefers the stinky stuff.

When asking SPCA what he ate there before we left, they said it's a mix of all the food they have at a time and then in the evening they mix everyone's food with wet dog food. So that doesn't really help, other than I could imagine it wouldn't be the expensive stuff since they were shocked when I donated a blue bluffalo wet dog food earlier in the day and were extremely excited since they have a sick dog currently.

Any suggestions on what we could try would be amazing, even if it doesn't work.

2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Try mixing canned tuna fish with a bit of kibble. It's really smelly and usually appeals to a dog that won't eat. Another one is canned tripe (for dogs)...you can find it at the pet food stores. Smells like feet but dogs love it!

3. melbell

Feb 4, 2013
    Erie, Pennyslvania
    Oh thank you!!! I do have canned tuna in my possession. We'll try that for breakfast and go from there. Thanks!

4. melbell

Feb 4, 2013
    Erie, Pennyslvania
    The tuna worked! Thanks so much. He's rather skinny (too skinny) so we were worried about getting food in him.

5. tofu pup

tofu pup Moderator

Aug 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Unless the dog is frail or very sick, there is no reason to offer him a buffet.

Right now, he's in "wait and see" mode. He's been through one stressful experience (being at the shelter), followed by another (moving to a new house). He's probably just not comfortable enough to eat at the moment.

Just put some ordinary kibble in a bowl and leave it with him in his crate overnight. When the house is dark and quiet, he might take a few bites. He will not starve to death.

Offering him his choice of fancy food, table scraps, and treats just teaches him that he can hold out for "the good stuff" (and causes you and your friend anxiety, which will make the dog more anxious, which will make him even less inclined to eat). Leave him alone and let him eat when he's ready.

6. Sullivan

Sullivan Forums Enthusiast

May 29, 2013
    Florida
    I totally agree, good advice tofu pup. The poor baby's, they come with enough baggage, no need to add to the list.

7. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Couldn't agree more. You don't want to create a picky eater. Not to mention upset their GI tract with rich stuff. Most dogs need a little time to adjust to a new situation.... well, maybe not Labradors...:lol: (Just kidding)