Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Early Morning wake up call

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by danisgoat, Jun 25, 2014.

1. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    Ok, need some help here :lol:

How can I get my little monster to sleep in past 5AM? I know I shouldn't complain, as he makes it in his crate all night (from about 11PM-12AM). I am just getting really tired, lol. I need more than 5 hours of sleep!

We turned on the air conditioning and closed the windows (no birds chirping). We have him in the family room in a dog crate (plastic one that is darker than a wired one).

I was wondering if maybe I should cover the crate with a blanket except for the door, but I am wondering if that would not be enough ventilation for him.

I wouldn't mind if he just needed to go potty and then would go back to sleep but he comes leaping out of the crate, I take him out to do his business and then he is a wild man. There is no settling him down for at least 2 hours.

Even Chloe and Dandie are looking at him like he is nuts. Dandie just runs upstairs and gets on my daughters bed so she can sleep in. Chloe follows him around trying to mother him with a glazed look in her eye.

So tired :sleepy:

2. Sumac3890

Sumac3890 Forums Sage

Sep 12, 2008
    Fort Myers, Fl
    LOL I hear ya. I wish I could get Zoey to sleep past 6:00 or 5:45. Zak is not ready to paly that time of morning. She does not wake up to go out, she just wants us. The two days we when the a/c was broken she slept till 6:00. We tell her to be quiet but it does not work.

I would be worried about ventilation too. Zoey is in a wire crate with a towel across part of it.

3. Watson's Mom

Watson's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2012
    I'll be following along with this one, Watson is 3 and his morning potty time is generally between 530-6. I do believe he trained his dad on this one, rather than the other way around.:gaah

4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    LOL, this is exactly what happened with Ruffles (and every puppy I've had). It's hopeless at this time of year when it's light so early. I would try covering the crate with a dark colored sheet (not a blanket) and see if that helps. The wild play after first out is SOP though...it's all that pent-up puppy energy. :hide

If it makes you feel better, Ruffles is 9 months old and still wakes up at 5. On a good day, maybe 5:30. The difference is that now after she gets me and all her doggie roommates up and outside, she goes back to sleep!:sleepy:

5. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    I have the opposite problem. Enzo wakes up in the middle of the night, every night. I can't be mad because he legitimately needs to poop, but it's exhausting. Last night was the first night in a month that he didn't get us up around 3-4am to go out. It's another reason I'm switching his food...can't hurt!

Good luck!

6. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    Until Natalie was three, she wanted out about 5 every morning. Magically, she turned three in May, she will now sleep in. Unfortunately, I am the one up at 5 or 6 making them go out and then going back to bed. I think I am still on Eastern standard time.

Good luck in finding a solution.

7. MissieLynn

MissieLynn Forums Enthusiast

Jun 14, 2013
    Oklahoma
    Emmy used to wake up between 5:00 and 5:30 wanting to potty and then PLAY!!!! After about three weeks of that, I started setting my cell phone alarm (with a certain ringtone) to 4:50ish. Then I'd let her out and plaaaaaaay. After a couple days, I set my alarm to 5:00, then 5:10 etc. If she cried a little before that, I ignored her. If it was frantic, she was let out to do her business, then we went back to bed until the alarm went off. Sometimes it was only 10 minutes later, but she learned that the alarm meant play time. In a about a month I could set my alarm for anytime even 7:30 or 8:00) and she wouldn't make a peep before then. :biggrin2:

Hope it helps!

And, funny story. The ringtone I used was part of the soundtrack from Polar Express (even though it was July/August/September. Hey, I liked the tune :hide). Around Christmastime I was listening to my Polar Express soundtrack and Emmy was happily snoozing on the bed. When it reached the point in the score that I had on my phone, Emmy jumped a good foot in the air and started running around looking confused. :lol:

8. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    With the longer days mine routinely get up at 5:00...if we are really lucky they sleep in until 5:30...but that doesn't happen often. Covering his crate might help and with the AC running he shouldn't get too hot even with the cover. But it might not make any difference...I have put shades that totally block light on all our bedroom windows but somehow they still know it is light outside! Winter is a little better...we usually get to sleep in til 6:00. To get even close to enough sleep we have had to just go to bed earlier.

Trini

9. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    I am going to have the opposite -- my Shay starts bugging me about 3:30 - 4 AM for breakfast. Melli, unmoving like a rock til I get up. Shay, ug! While I can tell HIM to go lay down, everytime he wakes the puppy means a trip down the stairs, out to the yard, watching for snakes, etc. NOT looking forward to the next about 6 months. I may have to lock Shay out of the room.

10. Judyg

Judyg Premium Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Riverside, Ca.
    My Milo has been asking for breakfast at 5:30. The cat's now ask to eat then too. Even if Milo is sleeping Max the cat starts bugging me. I fed the cats super early this morning, but Milo is still asleep.